Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2004/01/23 17:53:22 UTC

Changes to launcher and wrapper script for RPM packagers

Hi,

the jpackage team and I have been trying to resolve the problems they
are currently facing with their setup.  With jpackage RPMs,
ANT_HOME/lib is empty and ant-launcher.jar together with pretty much
any other Java library on earth sits in a shared Java directory.  This
means that the launcher is going to pull everything.

Their proposed solution consists of two steps:

(1) Some changes to the wrapper script that will set up the CLASSPATH
in a more Ant traditional way if a variable rpm_mode is set.  This
would also be used to disable the sourceing of /etc/ant.conf if
explicitly set to off.

If rpm_mode is not set, the script is supposed to behave exactly as it
does right now.

(2) Modify the Lanucher to use the directory pointed to by the system
property ant.lib instead of the parent directory of ant-launcher.jar
if it has been set.  The modified wrapper would set the property to
the (empty in RPM installations) ANT_HOME/lib explicitly.

Does anybody see a problem with this?

Stefan

Re: Changes to launcher and wrapper script for RPM packagers

Posted by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>Hi,
>
>the jpackage team and I have been trying to resolve the problems they
>are currently facing with their setup.  With jpackage RPMs,
>ANT_HOME/lib is empty

Why ? (mere curiosity)

>and ant-launcher.jar together with pretty much
>any other Java library on earth sits in a shared Java directory.  This
>means that the launcher is going to pull everything.
>
>Their proposed solution consists of two steps:
>
>(1) Some changes to the wrapper script that will set up the CLASSPATH
>in a more Ant traditional way if a variable rpm_mode is set.  This
>would also be used to disable the sourceing of /etc/ant.conf if
>explicitly set to off.
>
>If rpm_mode is not set, the script is supposed to behave exactly as it
>does right now.
>
>(2) Modify the Lanucher to use the directory pointed to by the system
>property ant.lib instead of the parent directory of ant-launcher.jar
>if it has been set.  The modified wrapper would set the property to
>the (empty in RPM installations) ANT_HOME/lib explicitly.
>
>Does anybody see a problem with this?
>
>Stefan

I do not see any problem with this, it is good that you take care of it.
:-)
I also agree with Dominique's comment ant.library.dirs or ant.lib.dirs
might be better than just ant.lib.

Antoine