Posted to xmlbeans-dev@xml.apache.org by Dutta Satadip <s-...@sbcglobal.net> on 2004/05/16 01:48:13 UTC

CVS Write Access questions

Hello,
This email for the existing committers and I need some
help in getting cvs set up correctly. I recently got
my user id on cvs.apache.org. However I am having
trouble setting it up.
I am suing WinCVS as my cvs client and putty as the
ssh client.

In WinCVS I am setting the CVSRoot as

:pserver:dutta@localhost:/home/cvs

Authentication as passwd

I login using putty and then use wincvs to update my
sandbox.

I when I try to check in I get a write error

cvs [server aborted]: "commit" requires write access
to the repository

I am missing something but I am not able to figure
it...can someone help me out
Dutta:)

Re: CVS Write Access questions

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> Dutta Satadip wrote:
>
>> I changed the CVS root to
>> :ext:dutta@cvs_apache_pk:/home/cvs
>>
>> Where cvs_apache_pk = saved session
>>
>> Authentication = ssh
>> ports rsh = plink
>>

> Never seen that one - but if it works, cool!

hi,

i use Cygwin ssh and i do not have enough experienc with plink.

>> The CVS checkout worked out fine. However when I try
>> to write something to the repository I am still
>> getting the
>> cvs [server aborted]: "commit" requires write access
>> to the repository
>>

> Are you working in a local copy that was previously checked out
> (before you had set up SSH)?  You might want to delete the directory
> structure entirely and then try your checkout/commit again.  (cvs
> keeps information about the repository in the directory structure, so
> configuration changes such as you describe above are ignored for
> pre-existing directories.)

i would definitely try in a new directory ...

the other approach you may try is to download TortoiseCVS and try to
checkout xml-xmlbeans into a new directory: after installtion and
restart click right button on directory and choose CVS Checkout, set
CVSROOT and give module name xml-xmlbeans and it shoudl work ...

best,

alek

Re: CVS Write Access questions

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Dutta Satadip <s-...@sbcglobal.net>.

I got everything up and running. The problem as Berin
outlines was that I needed to delete my old sandbox
and get a fresh check out.

Many Thanks to Berin and Alek for helping me out.

Dutta:)

Posted by Dutta Satadip <s-...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.

Posted by Dutta Satadip <s-...@sbcglobal.net>.
Hello,
Unfortunately.. I am still having problems writing to
the repository.

I re-checked my public key in my home/.ssh directory
and after ftping the public key again, I was able to
use putty to connect to cvs.apache.org without any
password prompts.

Since I have the session saved, I was able to use the
saved session to test plink to connect and create a
test file, without any interaction.

The above two tests seem to indicate that the ssh
authentication does work correctly.

To check out the xml-xmlbeans module from wincvs1.2 .
I followed the directions as mentioned in the emails
previously however I still kept getting the same
messages about requiring the password-
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response
Password:' from cvs server

So I followed the instructions written in the putty
docs .

I changed the CVS root to
:ext:dutta@cvs_apache_pk:/home/cvs

Where cvs_apache_pk = saved session

Authentication = ssh
ports rsh = plink

The CVS checkout worked out fine. However when I try
to write something to the repository I am still
getting the

cvs [server aborted]: "commit" requires write access
to the repository

If anyone has any clues, please let me know.
Alek/Berin your comments/suggestions were really
helpful.

With Regards
Dutta:)

Posted by Dutta Satadip <s-...@sbcglobal.net>.
Hello,

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Dutta Satadip <s-...@sbcglobal.net>.
Thanks Berin,

Posted by Dutta Satadip <s-...@sbcglobal.net>.
Thanks Berin,

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Dutta,

Posted by Dutta Satadip <s-...@sbcglobal.net>.
When I follow your directions, I get the following
when attempting a checkout

cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot start server via rsh:
No such file or directory

Posted by Dutta Satadip <s-...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.