Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by ja...@mitre.org on 2002/12/06 20:41:55 UTC

Is anyone REALLY using Jetspeed?

This may be a dumb question, but it is one I need answered.

My customer is interested in using Jetspeed as the portal framework for an
intranet that will start with a few thousand users - up to a thousand
simultaneous hits when people check into the portal in the morning - and
then possibly be deployed much more widely.

As far as I can tell, there isn't much (anything?) out there about
Jetspeed's performance/scalability, long term stability, and developer
usability.  Being a .war based application, I believe some of the
performance questions will relate to the servlet engine being used
(Websphere, WebLogic, JRun, etc.).  However, there must be some measurement
of how hard Jetspeed makes the servlet engine work to deliver content.

So, my questions are:
1. Is anyone using Jetspeed in a production environment, with a fairly large
user base, with a fairly diverse set of portlets?
2. If so, what is your server environment and performance impressions?
3. How difficulet was the integration of existing web apps with Jetspeed?

Sorry for the kind of vague question, a simple "Yes, I have it stood up
servicing a few k users, under Websphere, app integration was no harder than
with anything else" or "We tried it, got frustrated and bought Hummingbird
instead" will do.

	- Jasen.