Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Barney Frank <ba...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/08 20:03:45 UTC

XML Files Design Question

Yes, I have taken the lazy way and am asking for opinions.

I am currently using Hbase for my application and now am considering some
other uses.

My application will be storing thousands of XML files used for
configuration.  It uses thousands since it is multitenant.  Most customers
will be in the hundreds.

Presently I store these on the whatever file system the application server
happens to be running on.  I would like to move them to a resource that
could be better shared.  My thought is either to store them in an hbase
table or store them directly into hadoop.

File sizes should be less than 100KB.  Response time is not critical.

Pros? Cons? Gotchas? Opinions?

RE: XML Files Design Question

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>.
I'd recommend HBase over HDFS with file sizes in that range.

It will be faster and far more scalable while inheriting the same durability guarantees you get from HDFS.