Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Scott Inglis <ms...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/17 22:16:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] Update C# REEF to .net461

Hello,

This is a thread to update REEF from .net4.5.2 to .net 4.6.1.

Are there any objections to this change?

Overall reason for the change is because .net 4.6.1 is newer. This has some
benefits:
1) This will ensure that we remain supported in external libraries. We have
already seen this change with the Azure libraries requiring REEF to be
updated to 452. I would rather us be ahead of the curve then having to
update REEF because a library no longer supports 45.
2) .net 4.6.1 has been around for a long time and used in production.
3) .net 4.6.1 may provide some benefits as we upgrade to .net core.
.net4.6.1 can target .net standard 2.0 libraries, so this may provide some
opportunities to transition to .net core as opposed to jumping right in.
.net452 would not provide any options for this transition.

Thanks,

Scott

Re: [DISCUSS] Update C# REEF to .net461

Posted by Scott Inglis <ms...@gmail.com>.
I have filed this JIRA for tracking, along with a pull request of the
changes:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/REEF-2005

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
+1