Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com> on 2004/01/17 05:51:15 UTC

why would an XML project need to worry about backwards compatibilty? Re: configuring Catalog Entity Resolver with XML editors

Isn't the point of XML to be able to be transformed to the necessary format?

Why would an XML project be worried about backwords compatibilty? Why
not simply provide upgrade transformations?

Re: why would an XML project need to worry about backwards compatibilty?

Posted by Marshall Roch <ma...@exclupen.com>.
Marshall Roch wrote:
> Robert Koberg wrote:
>> Why would an XML project be worried about backwords compatibilty? Why
>> not simply provide upgrade transformations?
>
> I could even imagine something in the future like "forrest
> upgrade-xdocs" to transform doc-v12 xdocs to XHTML2, backing up the
> originals and replacing with the new XHTML2 copy.

Or better yet, "forrest upgrade", which will grab the latest stable (or
beta/CVS, if you tell it to) from the Forrest site and rebuild itself
and do all the necessary transformations.

--
Marshall Roch

Re: why would an XML project need to worry about backwards compatibilty? Re: configuring Catalog Entity Resolver with XML editors

Posted by Marshall Roch <ma...@exclupen.com>.

Posted by Johan Kok <jk...@messianic.dyndns.org>.

Robert Koberg wrote:

> Isn't the point of XML to be able to be transformed to the necessary
> format?
>
> Why would an XML project be worried about backwords compatibilty? Why
> not simply provide upgrade transformations?

Upgrade transformation is great, until you have other software depending
on the existing, e.g. pre-processor etc.