Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Riyad Kalla <rk...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/09 21:38:33 UTC

Re: Changes of html-files are not directly available - need to re-deploy

Joachim,

Troubleshooting redeployment issues can be maddening. The *very first*
thing you have to rule out is that the file is actually getting placed
on disk in the deployed location. I don't know how NetBeans handles
it's deployments, if it points Tomcat at the internal project and runs
"in place" or if it actually copies out the project contents on-disk
to some deployed location.

Regardless, find the deployed location. Go change your HTML, save it,
then using a file explorer, go to the deployed location and manually
open the file that is in the deployed location (e.g. using Gedit on
Ubuntu) and confirm that those changes are in that HTML.

If they are, then the issue would be with Wicket polling and seeing
the changes and reloading them. If you don't see the changes, then the
issue is with NetBeans either not placing the files in the right
location or not being *Able to* place them -- i.e. a permission
problem (That running as root should have addressed).

NOTE: 1 last thing, I don't know how you are running Tomcat, but if
you are running it externally make sure it's running as the same user
as NetBeans. Othertiwse you could run into a silly situation of
NetBeans writing out files as "root" and Tomcat trying to read/load
the deployed files but not having read-perms on those "root-owned"
files.

Just want to avoid weirdness.

-R

Posted by Joachim Rohde <ma...@joachimrohde.com>.
I found out what was wrong. Quite a rookie mistake: I relied on my IDE.
As I mentioned I am using Netbeans where I have installed the Wicket
plugin
(http://plugins.netbeans.org/PluginPortal/faces/PluginDetailPage.jsp?pluginid=3586).
It was the plugin which was copying the HTML files to the correct
(server) folder after saving changes. And this behaviour is broken in
Netbeans 6.8. In Netbeans 6.7.1 the plugin is working perfectly. I guess
I didn't realize that the plugin is not compatible with NB 6.8 because
on one hand the rest of the plugin seems to work perfectly (at least the
parts that I am using) and on the other hand I was working the last
weeks more on the backend of my project so that I didn't realize after
the upgrade of Netbeans that not everything was working as expected. For
now I'm using Netbeans 6.7.1 again.
Thanks for the help.