Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Gary <ga...@physics.org> on 2016/08/28 09:20:24 UTC

Please help! Any interest in continuing the Apache Bloodhound project?

Hi everyone,

For quite a while now it has been clear that development activity on the
Apache Bloodhound project has stalled, and the current Bloodhound
Project Management Committee has determined that there are not enough
members with the time to dedicate to the project. This is putting the
project on the path to a move to the Apache Attic.

This move to the Attic is not a foregone conclusion but avoiding it will
require more volunteers to get involved with the project. I am not aware
of anyone who has been involved in the project who wants the project to
stop and so we would be very welcoming of more volunteers!

Please let us know if you are interested in getting involved with this
project as soon as possible.

For more about the Attic process and what it means, see
https://attic.apache.org/

Many thanks,
     Gary

(Sent on behalf of the Bloodhound PMC)

Re: Please help! Any interest in continuing the Apache Bloodhound project?

Posted by Gary <ga...@physics.org>.
On 08/09/16 15:47, Dammina Sahabandu wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> Regarding the new contributors, may be we can propose them some small
> features that can be added or guide them to fix some issues that can easily
> be. This is a typical method I have noticed being used to get GSoC students
> to make them get used to the code base and get them up to speed.
>
> Also I have talked with Thimal and he will also be able to make some time
> to contribute. So if you have anything in mind may be we should discuss it
> in the list. Furthermore I remember there was a discussion regarding Trello
> integration to BH inorder to get a kanban dashboad. So may be if anyone is
> interested it might be a interesting feature to start working on. Currently
> I'm working on updating the Trac version in a forked repository with the
> help of Ryan. So after the work is complete I will merge it into the trunk
> and start working on some new feature.
>
> Anyhow lets keep the discussions going on and keep the community active :)
>
> Thanks,
> Dammina.

Hi Dammina,

Yes, that is a reasonable way of helping out contributors though at the
time I wrote that I was hedging my bets with the availability of people
to get people the help they need to get contributing. I think there is
probably enough expertise when we factor in people like Dammina and Thimal.

I think it is also worth pointing out that there are more ways to
contribute than just through code of course. David Wolff's discussion of
documentation is very welcome for instance.

The idea of a kanban dashboard has come up a few times I think. I have
certainly kicked around ideas about that a little. Doing this in some
form would be a very interesting project and if that excites other
people then we should certainly do it.

I have not considered whether trello integration is a viable solution
but if anyone thinks they can get that working, I don't see a particular
reason why that could not be done as part of the Bloodhound project. I
think that my interest would be more in being able to host my own board.
I do have this idea that I would like to make a board that is separable
from the tracker backend and could look to consume tickets from multiple
sources.

There are a number of unmerged pieces of work from past GSoC projects
that also could do with some evaluation. I would like all of those to
become part of the main project on the assumption that they are ready.
These bits of code do represent the ways that we have looked to include
new features in the past. Getting enough knowledge of how to make basic
plugins would be a very good start for people interested in adding
functionality that scratches an itch for them.

Of course it is worth keeping in mind that we also need to put some love
into the core parts of the project. We have to remember that it may take
a some time for newcomers to feel like they have the skills for working
in those areas.

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: Please help! Any interest in continuing the Apache Bloodhound project?

Posted by Dammina Sahabandu <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gary,

--
Dammina Sahabandu
SSE, AdroitLogic (pvt) Ltd.

Re: Please help! Any interest in continuing the Apache Bloodhound project?

Posted by Gary <ga...@physics.org>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 8/28/16, Gary <ga...@physics.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,

Hello Gary !

> For quite a while now it has been clear that development activity on the
> Apache Bloodhound project has stalled, and the current Bloodhound
> Project Management Committee has determined that there are not enough
> members with the time to dedicate to the project. This is putting the
> project on the path to a move to the Apache Attic.

In my opinion, based on the previous experience we had building the MP
architecture, the first thing the project needs to move forward is to
determine new goals (yes, Trac has changed in the mean time) and
redefine the roadmap . I am keen to start doing so from  2017 .

BTW , I am thinking of a few approaches to attract new contributors
but I'm not sure of how they could work at present with the ASF ...
I'll have to make some research on my own .

Another thing I wanted to know . If the project moves to the Attic in
the end , is there a well established procedure to fork the project ?
Any documentation about trademark policies for projects in this state
?

Olemis - @olemislc

Apacheā„¢ Bloodhound contributor
http://issues.apache.org/bloodhound