Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/07 06:31:53 UTC

Moving log4cxx to the Attic

Hello

I would like to propose we move the log4cxx component to the attic.
I am not sure if the Apache Attic itself is the right place:
http://attic.apache.org/

as it seems to feed on TLDs only. I will ask there, if we agree that
log4cxx is not really maintained and that there will no work happen in
future.

I have hoped that there were a couple of people coming back to the
project when they see somebody is committing their patches. But it
hasn't happened and my own C skills are not enough to push this (time
is an issue too).

In case we agree, I would like to to keep the old log4cxx website,
saying this project is not longer maintained and the source code has
been moved to attic (if the attic.apache.org would take it). Other
options are also welcome, just let me hear what you think.

Best regards,
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Moving log4cxx to the Attic

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I believe there is precedent for moving sub projects to the attic.  IIRC, the XML project did that.

Ralph

Posted by Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com>.
My apologies-- this time with Logging General CCed correctly...

> I would like to propose we move the log4cxx component to the attic.
>
> I have hoped that there were a couple of people coming back to the
> project when they see somebody is committing their patches. But it
> hasn't happened...

JIRA contains unresolved issues with patches multiple years old.  I
think there's adequate interest in maintenance by the community
because the library is both excellent and stable, but the project has
been stuck in a
there-are-no-active-committers-so-no-new-ones-can-be-recruited
conundrum for years.  Curt Arnold discusses this at the end of a very
pertinent thread
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.logging.log4cxx.devel/1689.

- Rhys

Re: Moving log4cxx to the Attic

Posted by Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2013-02-07, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> I would like to propose we move the log4cxx component to the attic.
> I am not sure if the Apache Attic itself is the right place:
> http://attic.apache.org/

> as it seems to feed on TLDs only.

Jakarta moved a couple of subprojects there.  Attic is the right place.
See http://attic.apache.org/projects/jakarta-oro.html

> In case we agree, I would like to to keep the old log4cxx website,
> saying this project is not longer maintained and the source code has
> been moved to attic (if the attic.apache.org would take it).

Yes, that's how other projects have done it as well.

Stefan

Re: Moving log4cxx to the Attic

Posted by Tomas Andersen <to...@morecom.no>.
Hi.

We are also using log4cxx in one of our products and we are currently migrating this product from a 32-bit to a 64-bit platform.
I am very excited to see what impact that will have on log4cxx.
If our tests fail we can always try to run those applications in 32-bit mode.
We are using version 0.10.0.

So basically, we still need log4cxx and would like to see more activity around the development, but i understand fully that for that you must have
people that have time and interest. And as I myself do not have time I cannot make other people prioritise it either.

So.. Just a message to say that it's in use here too..

Best Regards,

Tomas Andersen
Senior Consultant
+47 91 87 32 77

[cid:D8FEA1FF-E055-413B-A9C7-80D4D1EF4659]
Tønne Huitfeldts Plass 2  |  N-1767 Halden  |  NORWAY
www.morecom.no <www.morecom.no>

Disclaimer: This e-mail is bound by the terms and conditions described at www.morecom.no/mail-disclaimer.html <http://www.morecom.no/mail-disclaimer.html>

From: chand priyankara <ch...@engineering.com>>
Date: Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:19 AM
To: Log4CXX Dev <lo...@logging.apache.org>>
Cc: Logging General <ge...@logging.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Moving log4cxx to the Attic

We are using this library, a lot.
This is kind of a well stable product, and seems small amount of changes,enhancements.
So it seems inactive, but NOT.

Some custom appenders been developed, but not in code base.
i feel, we cant consider this as dead. :(

regards,

        Chand Priyankara  [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/chand.priyankara>  [LinkedIn] <http://lk.linkedin.com/in/chandpriyankara>  [Blogger] <http://chandpriyankara.blogspot.com/>  [Google Plus] <http://plus.google.com/104246340732624023499>
|BSc(Eng) - Electrical & Information
|(094) 773-361-566
|chand@engineering.com<ma...@engineering.com>
|http://chandpriyankara.blogspot.com<http://chandpriyankara.blogspot.com/>
[http://images.wisestamp.com/apps/causes/wwf_banner.png]<http://www.iucnredlist.org/amazing-species>sent via internet

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Alexandru Zbârcea <zb...@wizant.com>> wrote:
We use log4xx extensively ...

There are few changes I wanted to push, but I had no time ...

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 7:43 AM, Andrew Lazarus <dr...@me.com>> wrote:
It's doing everything I want! So I haven't had any need to develop further.

been moved to attic (if the attic.apache.org<http://attic.apache.org> would take it). Other

Posted by chand priyankara <ch...@engineering.com>.

*Chand Priyankara*  [image: Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/chand.priyankara>
 [image: LinkedIn] <http://lk.linkedin.com/in/chandpriyankara> [image: