Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Christoffer Dam Bruun <cb...@systematic.dk> on 2001/06/06 17:26:45 UTC

port of Xerces for OS/390 classic (not unix-OS/390)

Hi,

I have been given the task of finding an Open Source validating(XML-schema)
XML parser to be used as part of a
custom cross-platform program running on win32, AIX and OS/390.

Xerces fits the requirement perfect, leaving me with the job of porting it
to OS/390.
I have looked at IBM alphaworks XML4C, but it seemed it was for unix-OS/390.
In addition
it did not have XML-schema validation.

Has anyone done or attempted a port to OS/390 before ?

OS/390 only supports file names of 8 characters and no directory structure.
So the sourcefiles
will have to be renamed. Also #include statements will have to be altered.

My initial idea is to maintain a set of diff-files that can be applied
to new source releases.  And create a perl script that can change a regular
source tree into
something that makes sense on OS/390.

Am I doomed ?

m.v.h.
Christoffer Bruun
email: cb@systematic.dk

---
Ed is the standard text editor.
If you use ed, you are on the path to redemption, the
so-calleds "visual" editors have been placed here by ed to tempt the
faithless.  DO NOT GIVE IN!!!  THE MIGHTY ED HAS SPOKEN!!!

Re: port of Xerces for OS/390 classic (not unix-OS/390)

Posted by James Berry <jb...@criticalpath.com>.
There is a tool checked into the Xerces source tree (ShortenFiles.pl, I
think) that knows how to truncate file names (and fix up includes) for older
Mac OS systems that have a 31-character file name limit. You might be able
to adapt this tool for your use with OS/390, and simply change the length
limit.

-jdb

On 6/6/01 8:26 AM, "Christoffer Dam Bruun" <cb...@systematic.dk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been given the task of finding an Open Source validating(XML-schema)
> XML parser to be used as part of a
> custom cross-platform program running on win32, AIX and OS/390.
>
> Xerces fits the requirement perfect, leaving me with the job of porting it
> to OS/390.
> I have looked at IBM alphaworks XML4C, but it seemed it was for unix-OS/390.
> In addition
> it did not have XML-schema validation.
>
> Has anyone done or attempted a port to OS/390 before ?
>
> OS/390 only supports file names of 8 characters and no directory structure.
> So the sourcefiles
> will have to be renamed. Also #include statements will have to be altered.
>
> My initial idea is to maintain a set of diff-files that can be applied
> to new source releases.  And create a perl script that can change a regular
> source tree into
> something that makes sense on OS/390.
>
> Am I doomed ?
>

> m.v.h.
> Christoffer Bruun
> email: cb@systematic.dk
>
> ---
> Ed is the standard text editor.
> If you use ed, you are on the path to redemption, the
> so-calleds "visual" editors have been placed here by ed to tempt the
> faithless.  DO NOT GIVE IN!!!  THE MIGHTY ED HAS SPOKEN!!!

 James D. Berry
 mailto:jberry@criticalpath.com
 vox:503.265.1213 fax:503.222.3020