Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric <sp...@scoot.netis.com> on 2006/09/20 22:08:19 UTC

Checking out files rather than directories

Is this forum a suitable place to discuss things like some of the GUIs that
are available to use with Subversion?

I thought that Subversion was supposed to support checking out/in of
individual files in addition to whole directories, but SmartSVN doesn't
seem to want to do that, i.e. if I try to check out a file it tells me I
have to check out the whole directory.

Did I misunderstand that capability of Subversion or is that a limitation
of SmartSVN?

Versions:

SmartSVN version 2.0.7, Windows 2000 Pro SP1 (old non-updated Windows box I
use for testing)

Subversion version 1.3.2, Fedora Core 5

Re: Checking out files rather than directories

Posted by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com>.
hi,

2006/9/21, Eric <sp...@scoot.netis.com>:

> Did I misunderstand that capability of Subversion or is that a limitation
> of SmartSVN?

by reading your email, i guess you misunderstand
the way subversion works. in svn you don't checkout
(exclusively) or checkin files, as you do in VSS, CVS,
SCCS. svn has a different way of seeing things that
helps overcome the limitations of those older VCSs.

i'd suggest you to read the subversion book, more
precisely, the section "versioning models" in chapter
2.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn-book.html#svn.basic.vsn-models

RE: Re: Checking out files rather than directories

Posted by Ch...@qimonda.com.
> svn co <myURL>/Imakefile file/Imakefile
svn: URL '<myURL>/Imakefile' refers to a file, not a directory

IMHO, this is another Subversion misfortune!

Posted by Talden <ta...@gmail.com>.