Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by bt...@fly.ists.dartmouth.edu on 2001/11/09 20:13:26 UTC

TC 4.0.1: classes being cached - requires restart to update

I am using Tomcat in it's standalone mode.

I am doing work on a class that is being imported by a jsp. I have not found no
reliable way to not have tomcat hold the contents of the class in memory. I am
forced to restart to get tomcat to show the changes which is a big drag on a
debug cycle.

I have the following server.xml config flags for the context:

debug="0"
reloadable="true"
cachingAllowed="false"

despite this, changes made to an imported class never show up unless I stop and
start tomcat standalone. I have tried deleteing the class file for the imported
class file -- interestingly, it gets recompiled but the new version is not the
one i see in use unless i restart. I have also tried trashing both the jsp
servlet class file and the class file and various combinations, nothing
regarding the imported class seems to be effected by messing with the files.

is there a config I am missing? a bug? short of this, is there a simpler/faster
workaround than restarting tomcat?

thanks,
brett tofel

Re: TC 4.0.1: classes being cached - requires restart to update

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Where is the class file itself?  It must be under /WEB-INF/classes or in a
JAR file in /WEB-INF/lib for reloading to work.

Are you waiting long enough after recompiling (default check interval is
15 seconds) for Tomcat to get around to checking?  If this interval is too
long for your taste, you can either set a shorter timeout on the <Manager>
element in server.xml, or use the Manager web app to force a reload any
time you like.  (The class still has to be in the right place -- see
above.)

Craig