Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Richard B. Pyne" <rp...@kinfolk.org> on 2002/04/06 22:57:10 UTC

Apache2 and PHP

Has anyone installed Apache 2 with PHP? I am anxious to
move to httpd-2.0.35, but in my ignorance, I can't see
how to add PHP to the system.

Thanks in advance for any tip or help.

--Richard

------------------------------
Richard B. Pyne, NZ7K
rpyne@kinfolk.org
http://pyne.kinfolk.org/rbp2

RE: Apache2 and PHP

Posted by Sebastian Wolfgarten <se...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

well I'm trying to compile php on apache 2.0.x for
about a week now :-)

Anyway to compile it you need at least the latest
cvs snapshots of both of them (cvs.apache.org
and snaps.php.net or cvs.php.net) and recent
version of libtool, autoconf and automake.
You need to configure php with the --with-apxs2
option for sure. The problem now is as I have
mentioned in a bugreport you can find at
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=16475&thanks=4
apache crashed immediately after being started
when having php4 module loaded (without any
message in any logfile)...

Bye,
Sebastian

Re: Apache2 and PHP

Posted by "Richard B. Pyne" <rp...@kinfolk.org>.
Thank you to all of you who had pointers on this.

First, the method that works for Apache 1.3.x does NOT
work with Apache 2. The answer is found in php-
4.1.2/sapi/apache2filter/README.

The biggest key to getting it to build is in the
configure option

--with-apxs2=/path/to/apache-2.0/bin/apxs

note that it is apxs2 not just apxs.

Now on to testing the installation....

--Richard

On 7 Apr 2002 at 8:01, Irmund Thum wrote:

> James Harr wrote:
>
> > I believe php has a plugin for it. Look in the readme under 'plugins/apxs2' or 'plugins/apache2' or something like that. The option is something along the lines of --with-apxs2='path-to-apxs-for-apache-2.x'. PS - make sure you include all the cool stuff into apache (not just basics). Like
png, libgd and whatnot.

> > On Sat, 6 Apr 2002 13:57:10 -0700
> > "Richard B. Pyne" <rp...@kinfolk.org> wrote:
> >

> >>Has anyone installed Apache 2 with PHP? I am anxious to
> >>move to httpd-2.0.35, but in my ignorance, I can't see
> >>how to add PHP to the system.
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance for any tip or help.
> >>
> >>--Richard
>

> too many errors actually whatever way with php you're trying to go;
>
> the php-team has to fix that. So its better to wait for a new tarball on
> the php-site.
>

> WARNING: Your /usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs script is most likely broken.
> |                                                                    |
> | Please go read http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.build.php#AEN61338 |
> | and make the changes described there and try again.
>
> there is nothing about apxs on this site
> --
> _ ___
> |  |  Irmund    Thum
> |  |

------------------------------
Richard B. Pyne, NZ7K
rpyne@kinfolk.org
http://pyne.kinfolk.org/rbp2

Re: Apache2 and PHP

Posted by Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org>.
James Harr wrote:

> I believe php has a plugin for it. Look in the readme under 'plugins/apxs2' or 'plugins/apache2' or something like that. The option is something along the lines of --with-apxs2='path-to-apxs-for-apache-2.x'. PS - make sure you include all the cool stuff into apache (not just basics). Like png, libgd and whatnot.
>
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2002 13:57:10 -0700
> "Richard B. Pyne" <rp...@kinfolk.org> wrote:
>

>>Has anyone installed Apache 2 with PHP? I am anxious to
>>move to httpd-2.0.35, but in my ignorance, I can't see
>>how to add PHP to the system.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any tip or help.
>>
>>--Richard

too many errors actually whatever way with php you're trying to go;

the php-team has to fix that. So its better to wait for a new tarball on
the php-site.

WARNING: Your /usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs script is most likely broken.
| Please go read http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.build.php#AEN61338 |
| and make the changes described there and try again.

there is nothing about apxs on this site
--
_ ___
|  |  Irmund    Thum
|  |

RE: Apache2 and PHP

Posted by Roger Williams <ro...@roger.jp>.
$ cd /usr/local/apache_1.3.x
$ ./configure

$  cd /usr/local/
Here is what I do.  Of course you will need update the version numbers to
what you are trying to install.

Roger

GOOD LUCK

$ gunzip -d php-4.0.3.tar.gz | tar xf -

$ cd php-4.0.x
$ ./configure --with-mysql --with-apache=../apache_1.3.x --enable-track-vars
$ make
$ make install

$ cd ../php-4.0.x
$ cp php.ini-dist /usr/local/lib/php.ini

You can edit /usr/local/lib/php.ini file to set PHP options.

Edit your httpd.conf or srm.conf file and add:
  AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

$ cd /usr/local/apache_1.3.x

./configure --prefix=/var/www
            --enable-suexec
            --suexec-userdir=virtual_html/cgi-local
            --suexec-docroot=/var/www/htdocs
            --with-perl=/usr/bin/perl
            --add-module=/usr/local/apache_1.3.20/src/modules/standard/mod_s
o.c
            --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
            --activate-module=src/modules/frontpage/mod_frontpage.o

   make
   make install

   adduser www:www

  modify httpd.conf to start as www.

  Edit your httpd.conf or srm.conf file and add:
  AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

  /var/www/bin/apachectl start

 Thats It !!!!!

I believe php has a plugin for it. Look in the readme under 'plugins/apxs2'
or 'plugins/apache2' or something like that. The option is something along
the lines of --with-apxs2='path-to-apxs-for-apache-2.x'. PS - make sure you
include all the cool stuff into apache (not just basics). Like png, libgd
and whatnot.

Later,
jh

RE: Apache2 and PHP Better..lol

Posted by Roger Williams <ro...@roger.jp>.
##  ---- PHP BUILD ----  ##

Once your at this point copy the two directories in /usr/src to /usr/local.

$ cd /usr/local/apache_1.3.x
$ ./configure

$  cd /usr/local/
$ gunzip -d php-4.0.3.tar.gz | tar xf -
Here is what I use.  You need to update the version numbers for your needs.

Roger

Good luck

Re: Apache2 and PHP

Posted by James Harr <ja...@grickle.org>.