Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Deepak Raghav <de...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/23 13:12:49 UTC

Upgrade connectors logging from log4j to log4j2

Hi Team

I have some source connector, which is using the logging provided by
kafka-connect framework.

Now I need to change the log level dynamically at runtime i.e without
restarting the worker process.

I found out that changing log level is not possible with log4j, so I
decided to upgrade to log4j2, could you please help me with this.

Regards and Thanks
Deepak Raghav

Re: Upgrade connectors logging from log4j to log4j2

Posted by Tom Bentley <tb...@redhat.com>.
Hi Deepak,

Sorry, I slightly misunderstood what you were asking. Kafka currently
supports log4jv1 out of the box. You've said you've switched to using
log4jv2, so I guess you could do this via JMX[1], or having log4j poll for
updates to the config file[2]. This is really a log4j question rather than
a Kafka question. Assuming you're using the distributed herder you'll need
to update each of the nodes in the connect cluster.

Kind regards,

Tom

[1]: https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/jmx.html
[2]: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#a3.6