Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> on 2010/11/09 11:17:52 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Limiting Request Body suggestion

On 28.10.10 16:48, Joost de Heer wrote:
> To work around the "Display userfriendly error messages" bug^Wfeature?

Is there any need for work around this?

They may come with greater limits later. Simply give them what they have
chosen: bullshit error messages.
Providing .reg file that removes the lame setting is the best we can do
about this.

sorry for being semi-OT

Your mouse has moved. Windows NT will now restart for changes to take
to take effect. [OK]

Re: [users@httpd] Limiting Request Body suggestion

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 3:56 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
<uh...@fantomas.sk> wrote:

>> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
>> <uh...@fantomas.sk> wrote:
>> > Is there any need for work around this?
>> >
>> > They may come with greater limits later. Simply give them what they have
>> > chosen: bullshit error messages.
>> > Providing .reg file that removes the lame setting is the best we can do
>> > about this.
>> >
>> > sorry for being semi-OT
>
> On 09.11.10 10:14, Mohit Anchlia wrote:
>> Doesn't work for us. We have clients who pay for our products and
>> electronically send there information to us and it's the requirement
>> from the client products to send them back the graceful turnaway with
>> good error message back to the user. This is hard requirement and
>> that's why I am stuck. I am thinking of may be writing something of my
>> own. Do you think I can write some cgi handler?
>
> apache provides localized error messages for error codes. You can translate
> them and add some bullshit to them to be over 512 bytes big.
>
> But since it's the web browser, who eats those messages and shows user own
> versions, who can tell when will microsoft come with bigger limit for error
> messages?
>
> My point is, you can (and apparently do) give useful error messages, but you
> can't to much for clients' browsers not to sabotage it.
Actually consumer of this message is a client API which then formats
it to be displayed on the browser. So client product sends file to us
we then sent the message back "Too big ..." as part of the API
response. Client product parses this and then displays it on the
browser.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.