Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/08 04:27:38 UTC

Lucene 2.3 RC 1 available for testing

Hi all,

I just created the release artifacts (incl. maven artifacts) from the
2.3 branch and uploaded the files to
http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/staging_area/lucene_2_3/rc1/.

Let's try to use the next days for testing to ensure that we find
serious bugs or build problems as early as possible.

So please help testing the release files on different platforms with
different JVM versions.

Thanks to everyone in advance,

-Michael

Re: Lucene 2.3 RC 1 available for testing

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
Awesome! Thanks everyone who gave feedback already. So far it seems that
rc1 is stable and doesn't cause problems after upgrading from 2.2.

A lot of the major changes in 2.3 are tested implicitly after upgrading,
such as the new DocumentsWriter or background merges. However, there are
a bunch of new features, like e. g. IndexReader.reopen(), that can only
be tested by using new APIs. In the following I'm copying the "New
Features" list from the 2.3 change log and hope that some people can
give the new features a try!

Keep testing!
-Michael

New features

 1. LUCENE-906: Elision filter for French.
    (Mathieu Lecarme via Otis Gospodnetic)

 2. LUCENE-960: Added a SpanQueryFilter and related classes to allow for
    not only filtering, but knowing where in a Document a Filter matches
    (Grant Ingersoll)

 3. LUCENE-868: Added new Term Vector access features.  New callback
    mechanism allows application to define how and where to read Term
    Vectors from disk. This implementation contains several extensions
    of the new abstract TermVectorMapper class.  The new API should be
    back-compatible.  No changes in the actual storage of Term Vectors
    has taken place.
 3.1 LUCENE-1038: Added setDocumentNumber() method to TermVectorMapper
     to provide information about what document is being accessed.
     (Karl Wettin via Grant Ingersoll)

 4. LUCENE-975: Added PositionBasedTermVectorMapper that allows for
    position based lookup of term vector information.
    See item #3 above (LUCENE-868).

 5. LUCENE-1011: Added simple tools (all in org.apache.lucene.store)
    to verify that locking is working properly.  LockVerifyServer runs
    a separate server to verify locks.  LockStressTest runs a simple
    tool that rapidly obtains and releases locks.
    VerifyingLockFactory is a LockFactory that wraps any other
    LockFactory and consults the LockVerifyServer whenever a lock is
    obtained or released, throwing an exception if an illegal lock
    obtain occurred.  (Patrick Kimber via Mike McCandless)

 6. LUCENE-1015: Added FieldCache extension (ExtendedFieldCache) to
    support doubles and longs.  Added support into SortField for sorting
    on doubles and longs as well.  (Grant Ingersoll)

 7. LUCENE-1020: Created basic index checking & repair tool
    (o.a.l.index.CheckIndex).  When run without -fix it does a
    detailed test of all segments in the index and reports summary
    information and any errors it hit.  With -fix it will remove
    segments that had errors.  (Mike McCandless)

 8. LUCENE-743: Add IndexReader.reopen() method that re-opens an
    existing IndexReader by only loading those portions of an index
    that have changed since the reader was (re)opened. reopen() can
    be significantly faster than open(), depending on the amount of
    index changes. SegmentReader, MultiSegmentReader, MultiReader,
    and ParallelReader implement reopen(). (Michael Busch)

 9. LUCENE-1040: CharArraySet useful for efficiently checking
    set membership of text specified by char[]. (yonik)

10. LUCENE-1073: Created SnapshotDeletionPolicy to facilitate taking a
    live backup of an index without pausing indexing.  (Mike
    McCandless)

11. LUCENE-1019: CustomScoreQuery enhanced to support multiple
    ValueSource queries. (Kyle Maxwell via Doron Cohen)

12. LUCENE-1095: Added an option to StopFilter to increase
    positionIncrement of the token succeeding a stopped token.
    Disabled by default. Similar option added to QueryParser
    to consider token positions when creating PhraseQuery
    and MultiPhraseQuery. Disabled by default (so by default
    the query parser ignores position increments).
    (Doron Cohen)

Posted by Peter Keegan <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
The check is rather simple (standard Java API):

java.lang.Package lpkg=org.apache.lucene.LucenePackage.get();
if (lpkg==null || !lpkg.isCompatibleWith("2.2.0"))
	throw new RuntimeException("panFMP only runs with Apache Lucene
2.2.0 as a minimum requirement!");

According to Java Specs at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Package.html,
isCompatibleWith() reads the Manifest from Lucenes Package (returned by
Lucene's API in first line) and compares the given package version with the
JAR file's, if its greater or equal everything is OK. It uses the
"Specification-Version" attribute from the manifest, which must be formatted
in the following way:

"Specification version numbers use a syntax that consists of positive
decimal integers separated by periods ".", for example "2.0" or
"1.2.3.4.5.6.7". This allows an extensible number to be used to represent
major, minor, micro, etc. versions [...]
The implementation title, version, and vendor strings identify an
implementation and are made available conveniently to enable accurate
reporting of the packages involved when a problem occurs. The contents all
three implementation strings are vendor specific. The implementation version
strings have no specified syntax and should only be compared for equality
with desired version identifiers."

So if a JAR file lists a specification version, it must be formatted in the
way, Java specifies that attribute.

Lucene's manifest was always correct, only in the last release candidate,
the incorrect version string is returned for the Specification-Version

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.7.0
Created-By: diablo-1.5.0_07-b01 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
Specification-Title: Lucene Search Engine: core
Specification-Version: 2.3-rc1
Specification-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation
Implementation-Title: org.apache.lucene
Implementation-Version: 2.3-rc1 609854 - buschmi - 2008-01-08 03:21:58
Implementation-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

--------------------------

Posted by testn <te...@doramail.com>.
Michael,

So far it looks good on my side. The indexing speed is almost 2x faster.

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
> Michael Busch wrote:
> > Steven A Rowe wrote:
> >> I think this sounds reasonable - the Implementation-Version can have
> the X.X.X-rcX syntax (or any other the project chooses), but the
> Specification-Version should stick to the Java-specified syntax: X ( '.' X
> )*
> >>

> > OK I agree. I just opened LUCENE-1123 and plan to commit it today. I'll
> > then also rebuild the release candidate artifacts.
> >

> I just updated the files in
> http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/staging_area/lucene_2_3/rc1/.
>
> The Implementation version is 2.3-rc1 and the Specification version is
> 2.3.

Thanks, works great with panFMP! Until now, no bugs during
harvesting/indexing.

Thanks,
Uwe

Re: Lucene 2.3 RC 1 available for testing

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
Steven A Rowe wrote:

> I think this sounds reasonable - the Implementation-Version can have the X.X.X-rcX syntax (or any other the project chooses), but the Specification-Version should stick to the Java-specified syntax: X ( '.' X )*

OK I agree. I just opened LUCENE-1123 and plan to commit it today. I'll
then also rebuild the release candidate artifacts.

Thanks Uwe & Steven!

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.

On 01/08/2008 at 9:10 AM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> Lucene's manifest was always correct, only in the last release
> candidate, the incorrect version string is returned for the
> Specification-Version

Actually, it appears that at least one previous release candidate (1.9-rc1 - retrieved from <http://www.apache.org/dist/lucene/java/archive/lucene-1.9-rc1.zip> - lucene-core-1.9-rc1.jar) used the same syntax:

    Manifest-Version: 1.0
    Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.6.5
    Created-By: Apache Jakarta
    Name: org/apache/lucene/
    Specification-Title: Lucene Search Engine
    Specification-Version: 1.9-rc1
    Specification-Vendor: Lucene
    Implementation-Title: org.apache.lucene
    Implementation-Version: build 2006-02-20
    Implementation-Vendor: Lucene

Nevertheless, I think Uwe is right - the Specification-Version should follow the Java language Package specification.  Here is the 1.4.2 link (appears to be the same as the 1.5.0 page to which Uwe's link referred):

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Package.html

Steve

RE: Lucene 2.3 RC 1 available for testing

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by DM Smith <dm...@gmail.com>.
Michael Busch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just created the release artifacts (incl. maven artifacts) from the
> 2.3 branch and uploaded the files to
> http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/staging_area/lucene_2_3/rc1/.
>
> Let's try to use the next days for testing to ensure that we find
> serious bugs or build problems as early as possible.
>
> So please help testing the release files on different platforms with
> different JVM versions.

Just tested on Fedora 7. It was a painless, drop-in replacement. My java
1.4.2 application, BibleDesktop, is indexing Bibles with 1
document/verse using a ram directory and no other tuning, just using
stock settings. With 2.2 it took 40 sec to do an index. With 2.3, only
25s. I ran the test several times with the same results.

I didn't test search performance as that was so fast in the first place
as to not be a concern.

Earlier, before using a ram directory, indexing was taking up to 40
minutes (due to contention with Norton Anti-virus and MS fast-indexing)
on Win XP (on the same hardware that I am using to run this test).

I still intend to see how it performs under WinXP and MacOSx Leopard,
but I expect to see the same relative gain.

Many thanks for everyone's hard work!!!

Re: Lucene 2.3 RC 1 available for testing

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: So please help testing the release files on different platforms with
: different JVM versions.

FWIW: i just did a simple jar(s) swap with Solr 1.2 and Solr trunk, basic
searching/highlighting/updating worked fine on the Sole example data (with
and without Solr recompile)

-Hoss

Re: Lucene 2.3 RC 1 available for testing

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : I just created the release artifacts (incl. maven artifacts) from the
> : 2.3 branch and uploaded the files to
> : http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/staging_area/lucene_2_3/rc1/.
>
> Some misc comments while purusing the release artifacts...
>
> 1) the release release should use the version number "2.3.0" (note the
> trailing ".0" to be consistent with most of the previous releases (1.9 was
> called 1.9-final for some reaso)
>
> 2) the CHANGES.txt file needs updated on the branch to replace "trunk"
> with 2.3.0 and the release date (once it's picked)

Thanks. I didn't update CHANGES.txt yet because I wasn't sure about the
exact release date. I'll make sure to use version 2.3.0 and to update
CHANGES.txt when I make the final release.

> 3) that anoying "fake" UTF8 BOM is in the CHANGES.txt file on both the
> trunk and in the release (it makes 'less' think it's a binary file).

Can we just remove it?

> 4) as a result of the changes made to how "nightly" and historic javadocs
> are linked to on the site since 2.2, the local javadocs included with the
> release are only linked to from the "Resources:Developers" section of the
> local docs (/lucene-2.3-rc1/docs/developer-resources.html) and are refered
> to as "Nightly Build Javadocs" ... when viewing the
> "Documentation:Javadocs" page the "Javadocs for Official Releases" section
> does not list 2.3.
>
> (for this release, we may just want to manually change the forrest docs on
> the branch ... but this seems like a maintence pain moving forward, so we
> may want to think about an alternate way of dealing with this)

OK, I'll update the docs.

> 5) i just noticed that in the binary releases, the contrib directories do
> not contain the README.txt files ... looks like this was true in 2.2.0 as
> well ... we should probably fix this (but it's not a show stopper)

OK, I'll take a look to figure out what happened to the README.txt files.

Thanks for finding and explaining these issues, Hoss!!

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.

:
: Let's try to use the next days for testing to ensure that we find
: serious bugs or build problems as early as possible.
:
: So please help testing the release files on different platforms with
: different JVM versions.
:
: Thanks to everyone in advance,
: