Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by German Eichberger via dev <de...@cassandra.apache.org> on 2023/04/13 17:59:06 UTC

(CVE only) support for 3,11 beyond published EOL

All,

There have been several discussions on slack [1], [2] to support 3.11 beyond the date stated on the web [3] which is May-July 23 and given it's April that's an unlikely date.

Given that there are still a sizable number of users on 3.11 in [2] we talked about a CVE only support for some time. When we discussed that internally at Azure we entertained supporting until Java 8 is EOL but with that now being 12/31/2030 [4] we quickly gave up on that and are now thinking a shorter time. So we will support anyway but I would like to start a broader discussion if we, the community, are interested in at a minimum CVE only support, maybe bug fixes as well,  after 5.0 is released for 3.11 and if so for how long - something like a Cassandra LTS policy.

Thanks,
German

[1] https://the-asf.slack.com/archives/CJZLTM05A/p1678451091766109
[2] https://the-asf.slack.com/archives/CK23JSY2K/p1680125394038599
[3] https://cassandra.apache.org/_/download.html
[4] https://endoflife.date/java

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: (CVE only) support for 3,11 beyond published EOL

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 15 Apr 2023 at 03:17, C. Scott Andreas <sc...@paradoxica.net> wrote:

> If there’s lack of clarity around EOL policy and dates, we should
> absolutely make this clear.

Fix is here:
https://github.com/thelastpickle/cassandra-website/tree/mck/update-5-0_dates_download_page

w/ html generated here:
https://raw.githack.com/thelastpickle/cassandra-website/mck/update-5-0_dates_download_page_generated/content/_/download.html

I'll merge this tomorrow if there's no further input.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: (CVE only) support for 3,11 beyond published EOL

Posted by Henrik Ingo <he...@datastax.com>.
I concur with Scott here. LTS and extended support is precisely what
vendors are in a good position to offer. And in practice such support is
always available, also today, since a vendor will always agree to support
any old version as long as a price is agreed for the custom arrangement.

If I think about for example how LTS evolved for the Linux kernel, it was
originally completely the domain of vendors to offer support. Linus and
team were completely focus on the next release, where essentially every
release after 2.6.0  was a major  release. (Everything else was a release
candidate.) But just like the development of mainline Linux is most
efficient when everyone pools their efforts, a group of people eventually
have started to work on -stable maintenance releases and ultimately once
per year also a 6 year long LTS release. Vendors realize it makes sense for
them to work together on a single LTS branch (per year) rather than each
vendor shuffling patches in their own forks.

But even then the -stable and LTS work is done by dedicated teams who
specifically work on that maintenance work. It's a feature just like
working on a driver or scheduler.

So similarly for Cassandra, if a credibly sized team of developers would
step forward to say that they have been assigned by their employer to
provide LTS support for (for example) 3.11. then the project should
consider that offer basically just like a CEP or other major piece of work.

***

On the other hand, you can of course also make the argument that LTS
support is something the project absolutely should focus on as a priority,
and particularly to offer it for free, without users having to pay any
vendor. (e.g. Ubuntu LTS works like this) The rationale for this argument
is then that the LTS support is a valuable feature for end users and it
would benefit Cassandra adoption to offer it directly from the project
itself and we should therefore divert resources away from e.g. transactions
to work on LTS.

I currently don't believe LTS is more important than the many features we
are working on. But it certainly could be the case, so it's definitely fair
game as a conversation to have.

henrik

--

Henrik Ingo

c. +358 40 569 7354

w. www.datastax.com

<https://www.facebook.com/datastax>  <https://twitter.com/datastax>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/datastax/>  <https://github.com/datastax/>

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: (CVE only) support for 3,11 beyond published EOL

Posted by "C. Scott Andreas" <sc...@paradoxica.net>.
> [...]

> The other point Mick raises which releases to support gets to another
> discussion: As of today operators need to upgrade every two years and (also
> jump versions) aka I would need to go 3.11->4.1 right when it came out to
> get the full two year "support". I might feel uncomfortable going to a
> release which has just been released so realistically I need to update in
> between one and two years - give or take. This raises the question if we
> should dedicate some versions as LTS releases meaning they get longer
> support. Five years is common but that is also up for discussion. As an
> added benefit if there are commercial entities wanting to offer paid support
> they could focus on the LTS releases and bundle resources for the upstream
> support.
>

> This is a good discussion and I feel especially the implied CVE support

:(

Posted by German Eichberger via dev <de...@cassandra.apache.org>.
All,

________________________________

Posted by Jacek Lewandowski <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by German Eichberger via dev <de...@cassandra.apache.org>.
Josh,

________________________________

We already have an understanding and precedence in place that CVEs on
the previous unmaintained branch are addressed and released.
Correct me if I'm wrong German, but the question I got from your email was effectively "If we  consider formalizing our commitment to fixing CVE's on older branches that are out of formal bugfix support as a community, what are the benefits and costs to doing that"?

On Thu, Apr 13, 2023, at 2:47 PM, Mick Semb Wever wrote:

> There have been several discussions on slack [1], [2] to support 3.11 beyond the date stated on the web [3] which is May-July 23 and given it's April that's an unlikely date.

Strictly speaking it is maintained until the 5.0 GA release. We should
update the downloads page accordingly.

> So we will support anyway but I would like to start a broader discussion if we, the community, are interested in at a minimum CVE only support, maybe bug fixes as well,  after 5.0 is released for 3.11 and if so for how long - something like a Cassandra LTS policy.

The community's resources are limited, and the statement is intended
to avoid tying up resources and to avoid letting users down. This is
open source and "to upgrade" is often our easy and pragmatic answer.

It is not a statement that fixes to older branches will be rejected. A
(two) committers can still push to older branches, and a release can
still happen if you find someone to do it (and three PMCs to +1 it).
This is why the 2.2 branch is still present on ci-cassandra.a.o. If
vendors want to provide support for versions longer and can make the
commitment to upstream those efforts (whether that's bug-fixes and
releases, or only bug-fixes) the machinery is in place to accept it.

Posted by Josh McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.