Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Steve Fisher <S....@rl.ac.uk> on 2000/01/26 14:24:03 UTC

DOCBOOK: DocBookX and XSLT processor (fwd)

Hi,

I noticed this on the docbook mailing list. It seems that others are
having the same out of memory problems with DocBook and Xalan. I see that
this still does not appear to be in the list of known bugs in
http://xml.apache.org/xalan/readme.html

Could anyone make a guess as to when it might get fixed?

Regards

Steve Fisher

Posted by Steve Fisher <S....@rl.ac.uk>.
On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Klaus Malorny wrote:

> Steve Fisher wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed this on the docbook mailing list. It seems that others are
> > having the same out of memory problems with DocBook and Xalan. I see that
> > this still does not appear to be in the list of known bugs in
> > http://xml.apache.org/xalan/readme.html
> >
> > Could anyone make a guess as to when it might get fixed?

> Hi,
>
> I tried to translate Norman Walsh's DocBook Book (which I converted via sx
> from SGML to XML). By increasing the maximum memory size using the -Xmx switch
> of java, it compiled the style sheet and began to process the XML document.
> unfortunately, I got a null pointer exception relative early (maybe it is a
> good test candidate for debugging Xalan :-). The memory requirements were - as
> far as I can remember - about 120M.

Thanks -Xmx120M does circumvent the problem - though it does slow my 128M
machine down a bit.

There has been mention of saving the parsed xsl stylesheets. It would be
useful if xalan could cache (presumably using native java persistence
scheme) both the stylesheets and the xml input file as I normally read
that twice to generate both .fo and .html files. One could store the input
file size and some kind of checksum to make it extremley unlikely that the
version in the cache would be used when it was stale.

Steve

Re: DOCBOOK: DocBookX and XSLT processor (fwd)

Posted by Klaus Malorny <Kl...@knipp.de>.
Steve Fisher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed this on the docbook mailing list. It seems that others are
> having the same out of memory problems with DocBook and Xalan. I see that
> this still does not appear to be in the list of known bugs in
> http://xml.apache.org/xalan/readme.html
>
> Could anyone make a guess as to when it might get fixed?
>
> Regards
>
> Steve Fisher

Hi,

I tried to translate Norman Walsh's DocBook Book (which I converted via sx
from SGML to XML). By increasing the maximum memory size using the -Xmx switch
of java, it compiled the style sheet and began to process the XML document.
unfortunately, I got a null pointer exception relative early (maybe it is a
good test candidate for debugging Xalan :-). The memory requirements were - as
far as I can remember - about 120M.

greetings,

Klaus Malorny