Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Franny <fw...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2009/09/28 01:08:37 UTC

Starting out with FOP

Hi,
I am just starting out with FOP, and am a bit bewildered by the
instructions. I would be grateful for any advice on how to set it up.
Specifically, I have downloaded the zip file and run the bat file, but
that's it!

Looking at the instructions, am I supposed to create a new environment
variable for Java? There appears to be an existing one- bit confusing.

I know a bit about xml tags and what I want to create by the way.

Thanks,

Franny

RE: Starting out with FOP

Posted by Martin FitzGerald <mo...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

To check you have Java installed, open a command file and type "java
-version". It should reply with something like: java version
"1.6.0_15". The fop.bat command will find it and use it.

Like you I started out with FOP just recently. But first I got the O'Reilly book "XSL-FO" by Dave Pawson. Then downloaded a sample FO file and ran it like this:

call C:\fop-0.95\fop.bat -fo %fofile% -pdf %pdfile%  1> %logfile%  2>&1

My interest is to convert SVG files to PDF. The O'Reilly book showed me how to do that by wrapping them in just a few lines of XSL-FO.

Hope that helps.

Martin FitzGerald

P.S. I hope the Irish vote No again.

> Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:08:37 -0700
> From: fwhite_translation@yahoo.co.uk
> To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
> Subject: Starting out with FOP
>

> Hi,
> I am just starting out with FOP, and am a bit bewildered by the
> instructions. I would be grateful for any advice on how to set it up.
> Specifically, I have downloaded the zip file and run the bat file, but
> that's it!
>
> Looking at the instructions, am I supposed to create a new environment
> variable for Java? There appears to be an existing one- bit confusing.
>
> I know a bit about xml tags and what I want to create by the way.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Franny

Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web.  Try  Bing™ now
http://www.bing.com?form=MFEHPG&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MFEHPG_Core_tagline_try bing_1x1