Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Øyvind Harboe <oy...@zylin.com> on 2006/05/25 22:44:41 UTC

Cayenne & Tapestry database field name confusion

I've been observing someone who's trying to learn Cayenne, Tapestry and
Java all at the same time :-)

One thing that is causing lots of confusion is all the different ways in
which a database field appears, each with unique naming/syntax:

- Tapestry OGNL
- Database record field name
- Cayenne property name
- Cayenne Java identifier for Cayenen property name
- Java get/set methods

Throw in that Tapestry has a .html template, a .java file and
an .xml file, one can not help but understand the confusion,
frustration & anger. :-)

So what would help here? Beats me. OGNL support in Eclipse Spindle
plugin? Cayenne plugin for Eclipse?

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com

Re: Cayenne & Tapestry database field name confusion

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
This is more of a cayenne-user question, but no problem...

I think you are making this more complicated than it is. There are
only two potentially different names - database and Java property
('property' as in Java Bean). Everything else that you've mentioned
is just those Java properties accessed in a different way, using the
same base name.

So I'd say there is no "naming confusion" per se (especially since
you do not access your DB column names in the Java code ... but note
that conversion between DB columns and property names is also based
on the naming convention), i.e. comprehending the whole thing should
be fairly easy if you are comfortable with JavaBeans naming conventions.

But there can be challenges elsewhere related to the number of layers
involved. Most notably renaming the properties can be tough.

Andrus