Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com> on 2008/04/03 07:23:47 UTC

Tomcat dying with Wicket 1.3.2 (Windows / JDK 1.5.0_10)

I upgraded my biggest production app from 1.2.6 to 1.3 last week.  I have
had several apps running on 1.3 since it was in beta with no problems -
running for months without restarting.

This app receives more traffic than any of the rest.  We have a decent
server, and I had always allowed Tomcat 1.5GB of RAM to operate with.  It
never had a problem doing so, and I didn't have OutOfMemory errors.  Now,
after the upgrade to 1.3.2, I am having all sorts of trouble.  It ran for
several days without a problem, but then started dying a couple times a
day.  Today it has died four times.  Here are a couple odd things about
this:

   - On 1.2.6, I never had a problem with stability - the app would run
   weeks between restarts (I restart once per deployment, anywhere from once a
   week to at the longest about two months between deploy / restart).
   - Tomcat DIES instead of hanging when there is a problem.  Always
   before, if I had an issue, Tomcat would hang, and there would be OOM in the
   logs.  Now, when it crashes, and I sign in to the server, Tomcat is not
   running at all.  There is nothing in the Tomcat logs that says anything, or
   in eventvwr.
   - I do not get OutOfMemory error in any logs, whereas I have always
   seen it in the logs before when I had an issue with other apps.  I am
   running Tomcat as a service on Windows, but it writes stdout / stderr to
   logs, and I write my logging out to logs, and none of these logs include ANY
   errors - they all just suddenly stop at the time of the crash.

My money is that it is an OOM error caused by somewhere that I am doing
something I shouldn't be with Wicket.  There's no logs that even say it is
an OOM, but the memory continues to increase linearly over time as the app
runs now (it didn't do that before).  My first guess is my previous
proliferate use of anonymous inner classes.  I have seen in the email
threads that this shouldn't be done in 1.3.

Of course, the real answer is that I'm going to be digging through profilers
and lines of code until I get this fixed.

My question, though, is from the Wicket devs / experienced users - where
should I look first?  Is there something that changed between 1.2.6 and 1.3
that might have caused me problems where 1.2.6 was more forgiving?

I'm running the app with JProbe right now so that I can get a snapshot of
memory when it gets really high.

Thank you,
Jeremy Thomerson

Re: Tomcat dying with Wicket 1.3.2 (Windows / JDK 1.5.0_10)

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
which wicket does for every url via webrequest.encodeurl or something
like that. of course if you subclass webrequest and dont forward the
encodeurl to httpservletrequest you effectively strip jsessionid from
the urls.

-igor

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Ryan Gravener <ry...@ryangravener.com>.
Are you storing a lot of variables in your session?  Also how often is
google visiting your site?

--
Ryan Gravener
http://ryangravener.com

Re: Tomcat dying with Wicket 1.3.2 (Windows / JDK 1.5.0_10)

Posted by Ryan Holmes <ry...@hyperstep.com>.
If you hit a wall in terms of decreasing session timeout or
deferring/avoiding session creation, you might want to look at Tomcat's
PersistentManager. It passivates idle (but non-expired) sessions out of RAM
to either disk or a database. The JDBC version should give you better
performance and more room to scale.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/manager.html

-Ryan

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:26 PM, Jeremy Thomerson <

Posted by Ryan Gravener <ry...@ryangravener.com>.
Just make sure you are not receiving more than 90 requests from search
engines an hour.  If you are you may want to set up a robots.txt
(http://www.robotstxt.org/) and a sitemap (http://www.sitemaps.org/).

Ryan Gravener
http://ryangravener.com

Re: Tomcat dying with Wicket 1.3.2 (Windows / JDK 1.5.0_10)

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
try a breakpoint in ISessionStore.bind() - that is where the wicket

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
You could also try to detect the spider and set its session timeout
(if one was created) to 1 minute or so... Detecting the bots shouldn't
be too hard iiuc some of the articles on robots.txt

Martijn

Apache Wicket 1.3.2 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.2

Re: Tomcat dying with Wicket 1.3.2 (Windows / JDK 1.5.0_10)

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com>.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com>.
Thanks for the suggestion - I may just go that route instead of my own
listener.

As far as Google - yes!  We're a public community site (for hunting and
fishing in Texas), and almost all of our non-repeat traffic comes from
search engines, so we must be highly ranked.  We're #2 in Google for "texas
hunting", which is huge since the only one above us is a Texas state
department - Texas Parks and Wildlife.

Thank you,
Jeremy

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com>.

Posted by Erik van Oosten <e....@grons.nl>.
Jeremy,

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
4585 tomcat sessions?

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com>.
Nope - one page never holds on to another.  I never even pass pages into
another page or link or something as a reference.

Interestingly, I DECREASED the memory the JVM could have from 1.5 GB to 1.0

Posted by Matej Knopp <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com>.

Posted by Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.