Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Didier McGillis <co...@hotmail.com> on 2006/03/01 16:29:31 UTC

Protocol handler start failed

Tried to google, didnt find anything useful.  What happens is that at some
point the site becomes unresponsive and so I restart and that is when I get
this error, now I dont know of any other apps running on port 8080 so not
sure why 8080 is already in use. Any thoughts?

SEVERE: Catalina.start:
LifecycleException:  service.getName(): "Catalina";  Protocol handler start
failed: java.net.BindException: Address already in use:8080

Re: Protocol handler start failed

Posted by alexandre heimburger <he...@fullsix.com>.
try ps -ef | grep tomcat to find and kill other instances of a running
server.

Otherwise you have maybe another application server which is listening
for 8080 port.

Alheim

Posted by Didier McGillis <co...@hotmail.com>.
Nevermind thats not it I have jdk1.5.0_06 but for some reason when I do java
-version I get

java -version
java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.0.2 20051125 (Red Hat 4.0.2-8)

Posted by Didier McGillis <co...@hotmail.com>.