Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Andy the destroyer <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/01 21:58:37 UTC

Offer my services

Hello,

My name is Andrew Headrick. I am an experienced Java developer and am
learning Scala but have no professional experience with it yet. I would like
to contribute to this project in anyway I can that involves code so I may
gain more experience and help the community. I can give references if they
are needed and a detailed list of technologies and languages I have worked
with.

Regards,
Andrew Headrick
andythedestroyer@gmail.com

Re: Offer my services

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Richard Hirsch<hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Ideally, he should submit an iCLA which would make things easier....

Yes, it's good to submit an iCLA [1] early - people should do that as
soon as their contributions are "substantial", and that makes things
faster if they become committers later on.

-Bertrand

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

Re: Offer my services

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
If he posts patches (code) via jiran - which I expect, then there is a
checkbox where you must deal with the attachment license. You either
have the option "Attachment not intended for inclusion " or "Grant
license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works (as per the Apache License
§5)
Contributions intended for inclusion in ASF products (eg. patches,
code) must be licensed to ASF under the terms of the Apache License.
Other attachments (eg. log dumps, test cases) need not be. "

Ideally, he should submit an iCLA which would make things easier.

D.

Re: Offer my services

Posted by David Pollak <fe...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Re: Offer my services

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
Andy,

Re: Offer my services

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

I took a look at the Jira list and found some other items that might
be good places to start

* ESME-25  Ability to set proxy user and proxy password from property file
* ESME-72   Add other attributes to the AccessPool object
* ESME-26  The message parser should ignore # in urls
D.

Re: Offer my services

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Offer my services

Posted by Andy the destroyer <an...@gmail.com>.
Darren,

Re: Offer my services

Posted by Andy the destroyer <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Darren,

Re: Offer my services

Posted by Darren Hague <dh...@fortybeans.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Re: Offer my services

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petteroe <yo...@gmail.com>.
A big +1 from me.
Would be great to have him on board!

/Anne

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Offer my services

Posted by Mrinal Wadhwa <mr...@gmail.com>.
That would be great !

+1 from me

_

Re: Offer my services

Posted by David Pollak <fe...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Re: Offer my services

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.
Hi Andy,

> What sort of JMX operations do you have in mind? Reset? Query stats?

Mostly querying stats, but I haven't spent time thinking about it. I
was mostly reflecting on the idea that text-based interfaces are
increasingly popular as a sort of command interface- take quicksilver,
ubiquity, twitter bots, wolphram alpha, to name but a few. So if ESME
revolves around text messages, it makes a lot of sense to me that we
can use messages as a command interface. I'm experimenting with
different ideas (not all are good, mind you).

> I went through the code base this weekend and so far I think I have a pretty
> good idea of how things are working. I am a little confused with one thing
> however.
>
> What exactly does the scala.actors.Actor.link method do? What does it mean
> to "link" an actor to another? No books ( Programming in Scala, Beginning
> Scala, Definitive Guide to LIFT), scaladocs or blogs I have found give an
> explanation, but I see it peppered through the ESME and LIFT codebase.

I couldn't provide a better answer than Erik, who is deeply involved
with Scala actors.

There was a sort of boom of Scala books during last year, but
unfortunately the best way to learn about some of the tricky stuff in
detail is the source... For me, it was very instructive reading the
source especially of Lift and was the main source of information
before the excellent Lift book got out.

I suggest that you write down all questions you have and ask, this way
someone can document it, blog about it, etc. It will certainly be
useful to the next people coming to Scala.

> Also, the touch method on the Distributor, MessagePullActor and
> ScedulerActor is used to load the class like an empty init method, am I
> correct in this? After the touch method is called in Boot.scala the class is
> initialized which ends with a StartMeUp message sent to the loading Actor (

Even without calling the empty touch method the code will run, but in
this way initialization is triggered at ESME startup rather than when
the first message is sent. I think that's the only purpose "touch"
serves. Actually that's how David has done it with Distributor and
UserActor and I have followed this pattern for MessagePullActor and
SchedulerActor.

> I just want to make sure I understand things correctly before I go coding
> wildly and blindly.

Good idea, but don't be too afraid to experiment, too- it's the best
way to learn. At first you will not be committing directly, so use the
fact that your code will be reviewed to your advantage.

> I should be able to start throwing some code together in the next few days.

Great to know you're having fun!

Vassil

Re: Offer my services

Posted by Erik Engbrecht <er...@gmail.com>.
re: Linking ActorsWhen two actors are linked, it makes it so that they
notify each other on exit.  So if you have actors A and B, they are linked,
and B exists, then as part of the shutdown process A will notified.  The
default behavior is for A to exit when it receives this notification,
however if you set the trapExit variable on the actor to true the
notification will be done via an Exit message instead (
http://www.scala-lang.org/docu/files/api/scala/actors/Exit.html )

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Andy the destroyer <

--
http://erikengbrecht.blogspot.com/

Re: Offer my services

Posted by Andy the destroyer <an...@gmail.com>.