Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/03 12:50:00 UTC

ASF Status website and project health reporting

Hi,

Recently we exchanged some thoughts (twitter and otherwise) regarding the
status of Apache top level projects and about how the reporting by the ASF
to the projects and the wider communities could be improved.

Currently the status pages at http://status.apache.org regarding project
health (commit activity and mailing lists) don't allow drill down into
individual projects. Is it achievable to get this kind of functionality?

Can we (as the ASF) also provide insights in number of people joining and
leaving the mailing lists of the projects and show what the trending topics
over the periods?
But also reporting on average depth and width of mailing list threads?

I do believe that these kind of insights will help monitoring project
health and investigate where projects can improve regarding community
building.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Re: ASF Status website and project health reporting

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Well, CouchDB or Hadoop come to mind... :)

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: ASF Status website and project health reporting

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: ASF Status website and project health reporting

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: ASF Status website and project health reporting

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gabriela, All,

Thanks for your quick response. Just having mailing lists subscription
counts and absolute numbers of postings per month indeed don't say much.
Changes (both plus and minus) in those counts do say a bit more. But it is
the correlation between an aspect and others that make it more meaningful,
e.g. number of registrations vs active participants. Making all those
aspects easily accessible will help.

As such is reporting on the dept of (average) mail threads, meaning no of
threads with 1 posting vs no of threads with more postings. And reporting
on the average width of mail threads, e.g. the number of threads between
only non-committing contributors vs number of threads with interactions
between (non-committing) contributor, committer and PMC Members. Just a
handful of posters can create a lot of mails within the timeframe of a
month. And a lot of those parameters can be discussed.

Is a project with 1000 followers but with just a few contributors a very
healthy one in the eyes of the ASF? Maybe that discussion deserves another
mail thread?

I agree, subscribing to and unsubscribing from mailing lists could be done
in a more web2.0 and integrated way as opposed to the pre-2k methodology we
are using today. The same could also be applied to:

   - project registration and definition of project mailing lists
   - handling of committer and member doap files
   - handling of permission definitions for contributors,committers, PMC
   Members and ASF Members
   - handling of permissions in the various underlying tools
   - registrations, review and acceptance of iLCAs and other CA documents
   - etc

I must admit though that I don't know what the underlying tools are to
ensure that each of those tools work properly for the person using it. But
I suspect it involves a lot of manual handling. Others can elaborate on
that.

Over the past months I have had thoughts about whether and how the main
work of the OFBiz project could support the internal processes of the ASF
as a whole and the projects under its umbrella. Based on my limited
insights regarding those processes and the knowledge I have regarding
OFBiz, this is feasible and achievable.
OFBiz has a lot of functionalities that can cater to Community Member
Services with respect to the list above, and more. One of our contributors
even has implemented a solution for a community based on OFBiz for one of
their customers (see the mail thread here:
http://ofbiz.markmail.org/message/3t6q6eqs6czhq7cr?q=alumni ).

But is that what the ASF wants?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gabriela, All,