Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Grant <em...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/29 18:45:30 UTC

[users@httpd] 127.0.0.1 access_log errors

I've been getting many errors like this in ssl_access_log:

127.0.0.1 - - [28/Sep/2007:09:07:29 -0700] "GET /" "-" "-" 400 470

and now access_log has started printing these:

127.0.0.1 - - [28/Sep/2007:03:10:07 -0700] "GET / HTTP/1.0" 404 24 "-"
"Apache (internal dummy connection)"

I read here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=506054

that the "internal dummy connection" is used by apache-2.2 to signal
its children to die, but the 404 and 400 are puzzling and why does the
ssl_access_log error not include a UA?

- Grant

RE: [users@httpd] 127.0.0.1 access_log errors

Posted by Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV <Ax...@europe.adp.com>.
I explicitly set it to 0 for all of my servers. Never had a problem.

In my mind setting it to anything different than zero would just be a temporary hack to circumvent a bug in some module, particularly memory leaks.

Various load tests I have made on Apache clearly show that restarting processes has a significant impact on Apache performance. You definitely do not want that to happen too often.

On the other hand you are using MPM prefork, so the impact may not be too severe... at least compared to what it would cost to fork new processes to handle load surges.

-ascs

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Grant wrote:

> Ok, would you use 0?  I was concerned about a process going haywire eventually.

Whoa - there's zero reason to use MaxRequestsPerChild unless you encounter
a specific resource allocation/unbounded utilization flaw in a specific (or
mystery) module you've loaded.

In nearly ever other case MRPC does you no good, outside of wasting resources
itself it restarting a healthy server.

MRPC will not protect you from haywire processes, if they are going to crash
due to a bug, they will crash if you've wired in MRPC limits or not, and in
fact it's better to pick up the pieces after the process has served out it's
entire useful lifespan.

Re: [users@httpd] 127.0.0.1 access_log errors

Posted by Grant <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 9/29/07, Grant <em...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, thanks Joshua.  Do these entries indicate that I might need to
> make a change in my prefork settings?  I'm currently using:
>
> StartServers            10
> MinSpareServers         10
> MaxSpareServers         20
> MaxClients              256
> MaxRequestsPerChild     100

No, those log messages rarely indicate any problem at all. But your
MaxRequestsPerChild setting is pretty-low if you are interested in
performance.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] 127.0.0.1 access_log errors

Posted by Grant <em...@gmail.com>.