Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by "mark e.anderson" <wo...@nmrfma.wisc.edu> on 1998/02/18 21:07:37 UTC

general/1836: .zip, .pdf file download errors

>Number:         1836
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       .zip, .pdf file download errors
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
we're experiencing errors in the files with downloads of .zip and .pdf files.
i saw the note about acroreader 3.0.1, but that doesn't account for the problem
with the .zip.  in addition, we tried to download the file after uuencoding
in case that mattered.  the result was still errors in the file.

the errors are just that, errors in the file.  sometimes the file sizes
are different, other times it shows up in diff or in acroreader.

we found at least one work around (or just dumb luck in 6 tries) in which
naming the file with .exe resulted in a successful same to file.  well, i
just did a bunch of test downloads followed by diff'ing the results and
that gave errors between the multiple attempts, regardless of whether it
was a .zip or a .exe.  the "diff" files also give errors in acroread.
note that the failure rate seems to be about 1 time in 10 for a 200k file.

as a last note, nothing seems to showing up in the error logs.
try: http://www.nmrfam.wisc.edu/~wombats/Test
>Fix:
i don't even know if it's really your problem.
%0