Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Paul King <pa...@apache.org> on 2018/05/22 16:02:54 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-3 released

Dear community,

The Apache Groovy team is pleased to announce version 2.5.0-rc-3 of
Apache Groovy.
Apache Groovy is a multi-facet programming language for the JVM.
Further details can be found at the http://groovy.apache.org website.

Pending any last minute feedback we anticipate this being the LAST RC
for this new version of Groovy with a final release due shortly.
We greatly appreciate any feedback you can give us when using this version.

This release includes 27 bug fixes/improvements as outlined in the changelog:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318123&version=12343166

Sources, convenience binaries, downloadable documentation and an SDK
bundle can be found at: http://www.groovy-lang.org/download.html
We recommend you verify your installation using the information on that page.

Jars are also available within the major binary repositories.

We welcome your help and feedback and in particular want
to thank everyone who contributed to this release.

For more information on how to report problems, and to get involved,
visit the project website at https://groovy.apache.org/

Best regards,

The Apache Groovy team.

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-3 released

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
Many issues are fixed in Groovy 2.5.0, but some of them still exists in
2.4.x, e.g. some critical STC issues, etc.

In addition, 2.4.x will stop maintenance soon, so we encourage all users
upgrade Groovy to 2.5.x.

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-3 released

Posted by "Winnebeck, Jason" <Ja...@windstream.com>.
Thanks, I see the notes. Mostly looks like new features. Are there any benefits to upgrading if not taking advantage of the new features yet (that is, does it improve existing code)? I see some improvements for example around the Optional usage, although if we were using Optional now it appears it would be broken, so it’s more of a pre-emptive bug fix. It also seems to be beneficial to upgrade to prevent the possibility of inserting new changes that would break upon upgrade, such as relying (or not) on the linked list behavior changes.

Jason

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
This is the place to look:

Posted by "Winnebeck, Jason" <Ja...@windstream.com>.

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
Here is the jitpack link:
https://jitpack.io/#apache/groovy/GROOVY_2_5_X-SNAPSHOT

and here is the sample project to show how to use jitpack:
https://github.com/danielsun1106/try-jitpack

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-3 released

Posted by Paolo Di Tommaso <pa...@gmail.com>.
Nice. Is there a public snapshot or even a Jitpack build I can use to test
it ?

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paolo Di Tommaso <pa...@gmail.com>.
I've spotted a new compilation error with 2.5.0-rc-3.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-8595

Also the nextflow joint build is stuck on 2.5.0-rc-1
<http://ci.groovy-lang.org/viewLog.html?buildId=50015&buildTypeId=JointBuilds_Nextflow_Groovy25xJointBuild&tab=buildLog>,
that makes it useless. Could anybody update it to use the latest 2.5
snapshot? (I guess it's enough to update the variable CI_GROOVY_VERSION).

Cheers,
Paolo

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
Nice. Thank you, Paul.