Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> on 2014/12/11 06:38:09 UTC

MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Recently I needed to create zip artifacts for overlays into WAR. Maven
doesn't have support for "zip" packaging type projects, but MNG-1683 wants
to introduce it.

I am curious why this issue has been ignored. Is it just a lack of time or
interest? Or is there a philosophical issue behind the delay? I can't see
much difference between the zip lifecycle and jar lifecycle except there is
no default "compile" or "test" bindings.

Cheers,
Paul

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Yes, this definitely helps, Stephen. Thanks for your detailed and
well-written explanation. I appreciate it much.

Cheers,
Paul

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

On Dec 17, 2014 1:26 AM, "Stephen Connolly" <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com

--
Sent from my phone

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from my phone

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from my phone

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Timothy Astle <ti...@caris.com>.
I have a situation/problem/use-case where I would like to take a
collection of XML schemas and create a bundle of themso that they could
be included into other projects.  The destination projects vary.  Some
are written in Java, some in C++, etc. So I'd like to produce amore
platform agnostic bundling artifact. At the moment, we lean on
Subversion externals, which I really dislike doing.

In this type of case, I figured a ZIP packaging type would have
described the project and produced the expected output, while using
Maven.  A big thing that I like about Maven is how you model the

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by domi <do...@fortysix.ch>.

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from my phone

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

RE: MNG-1683: Zip packaging

Posted by Robert Patrick <ro...@oracle.com>.
But there is nothing stopping people from adding custom packaging types, right?  The real question is there enough demand to warrant folding it into Maven itself versus making the people that need it define it themselves.  We have defined a number of custom packaging types for our own component archive formats and it is pretty straightforward...

--
Robert Patrick <ro...@oracle.com>
VP, FMW Platform Engineering, Oracle Corporation

Professional Oracle WebLogic Server
by Robert Patrick, Gregory Nyberg, and Philip Aston
with Josh Bregman and Paul Done
Book Home Page: http://www.wrox.com/