Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/29 02:36:29 UTC

Users mailing list

Perhaps it's time for a users mailing list. No dev is expected to answer
questions on it.

Example: https://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html

Right now we push people off to either:
1. Stack Overflow
2. PhoneGap Google Groups
3. Adobe PhoneGap Forums

Thoughts?

Re: Users mailing list

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.
+1 to Raymond, if the idea is asking and answering questions, I think there
are enough options right now and for announcements we have the blog

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Posener <rp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Users mailing list

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Users mailing list

Posted by Robert Posener <rp...@gmail.com>.
The reason I brought up notifications about critical errors is that that is
NOT happening now.  There have been a number of instances recently, where
there has been discussion about regression errors that have not been
announced to the wider community (eg, via the blog) and cordova users have
been in the dark about for as long as 2 weeks before a patch release has
been issued.

By all means, use the blog for this, but DO IT... don't just say it could
be used for this.

Rob

Regards
*Rob Posener*
0419 012 627

Re: Users mailing list

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Users mailing list

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Users mailing list

Posted by Nikhil Khandelwal <ni...@microsoft.com>.
I’m hearing two purposes of a user list:
- Key announcements
- Self-help for users

I’m not totally convinced that slack + stack overflow are not sufficient for finding resources & common answers for cordova issues. Creating another channel will just fragment the community.

FWIW, our blog got about 50K pageviews for all blog entries (and blog listing) in the last month or so. That’s very low compared to over a million hits on our docs. I agree that we need to find better ways to reach out to users with key announcements. Perhaps the blog needs to be improved – write more engaging content, find opportunities for guest posts (cross posting – Raymond?), have an option to subscribe for notifications to it. We’ve added disqus to our blogs already – but we need to probably route the disqus comments to the “dev” list or slack to ensure enough people get to see it and we respond to those comments.

Re: Users mailing list

Posted by Kerri Shotts <ke...@photokandy.com>.

Re: Users mailing list

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.
That message is relatively new, was included because a lot of people was
expecting adobe support.

I don't think the google group is defunct, last time I checked it still had
more daily messages than the new adobe forums (but less than the old
phonegap build community)

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.
The Google Group is defunct?