Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tony at Bluehaze <to...@bluehaze.com.au> on 2004/07/21 02:57:08 UTC

[users@httpd] Transparent proxypass on 80/443 (probably a dumb question)

       Hi,
I got a request yesterday to set up a proxypass on our main gateway server
(apache/solaris) to support another of our organisation's existing internal
servers (until now directly exposed to the 'net).  I've been doing a lot of
this lately, but only with HTTP (port 80) - this latest one runs HTTP
and HTTPS.

My (possibly) dumb question is this: Can we use proxypass in a more or less
transparent way so that requests in the form of http://www.name.com OR
https://www.name.com are both passed through TRANSPARENTLY to the internal
machine?  That is - NO SSL DECODING ON THE APACHE GATEWAY - just proxy
stuff back and forth more or less transparently on either port 80 or 443?

And would this need a new IP interface to support it (as with normal SSL
stuff with virtual hosting).

Started re-reading the doco yesterday and about to do some experiments
later today, but even if someone just says "Don't waste your time", it'll
help me!
--
   TIA

      Tony