Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM> on 2007/02/16 04:48:17 UTC

getting back to River project organization...

Since my original post on thoughts on River project organization,
the discussion on the list has veered back away from organization,
and dived down into various discussions (code whitespace,
testing, long term picture, etc).  I know those are all important to
varying degrees, but I'd like to get us back to spending some time
organizing and on process (I know, a bad word ;-)), so that we
can make progress within the context of a step wise progression.

I feel like the project needs to make some small successful steps
in which we can build on.

In the next day or so, I'll start the wiki page I proposed below and
put some of these organizational elements in them.  You're then
free to go in an modify at will :-)

Mark-  I like your breakdown here (modulo the testing discussion
that happened), so I'll try to incorporate that somehow. Thanks.

I think the first small step(s) should be to get the source code
in the project as our first milestone.  Why don't we start with
Service UI, and then focus on the Starter Kit. To that end...  Bill
has created a JIRA issue for the Service UI code contribution.
Do we need to define a process in which to vote on accepting it?
Let's work on getting that done.

thanks -Jim

On Jan 31, 2007, at 2:42 AM, Mark Brouwer wrote:
> 0) policy of how to deal with code changes (as in RIVER-2), also I
>    think your point 5) should be discussed first;
> 1) setup of JIRA with components and proper permissions for
> developers,
>    at least to the extend it makes sense;
> 2) we have a group of people that have actual access to SVN, meaning
>    the ICLA and CCLA are fine and accounts are created;
> 3) merge ServiceUI and JTSK for the time being so we have one build
>    process, I agree with Bob that separation complicate things.
> Although
>    I hope this agreement only lasts for a few months ;-)
> 4) work towards an initial (internal) release that in all aspects
>    compatible with the current JTSK, this means that fixes from Sun
>    internally could get in as well as improvements lingering around
>    the world. This would mean we assign issues to a new version and
>    this allows those willing to participate to pick tasks in a way
>    that is beneficial to the whole community on the short term;
> 5) setup of test infrastructure to validate the outcome of 4
>
> It is my expectation working towards an initial release takes at
> least a
> few months, depending on how much improvements we want in it. This
> buys
> us time to sort out the longer term roadmap issues, of which some of
> them can have a huge impact. If some of the roadmap issues are tackled
> in an early stage we could even start parallel development, although
> given the fact SVN has no merge history tracking I'm personally very
> reluctant to have any significant development going on in what is
> not the trunk branch.

Begin forwarded message:

Re: getting back to River project organization...

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
On Feb 28, 2007, at 2:46 AM, Mark Brouwer wrote:
> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>> JIRA is mostly self-serve, as opposed to the accounts that need to
>> be set up for committers on people.apache.org and the svn repos.
>> These need special permissions.
>> Everyone can create an account on JIRA. If you don't have
>> sufficient permissions, post to this alias with specific
>> complaints and one of the many JIRA admins can help out. If there
>> is someone with a keen interest in becoming a JIRA admin for the
>> River project let us know that as well, and 'twill be done.
>
> Thanks Craig,
>
> If nobody has a problem with it I'm volunteering to become JIRA admin
> for the River project. I have experience running a JIRA enterprise
> edition myself, so with some help of people who know the ASF
> particulars
> it should work out.
> --
> Mark

+1   (thanks Mark)

-Jim

Re: getting back to River project organization...

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@dcrdev.demon.co.uk>.
Bob Scheifler wrote:
> Mark Brouwer wrote:
>> If nobody has a problem with it I'm volunteering to become JIRA admin
>> for the River project.
>
> Fine by me, thanks.

+1

Posted by Bob Scheifler <Bo...@Sun.COM>.
Mark Brouwer wrote:
> If nobody has a problem with it I'm volunteering to become JIRA admin
> for the River project.

Fine by me, thanks.

- Bob

Re: getting back to River project organization...

Posted by Mark Brouwer <ma...@cheiron.org>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I've given you jira-administrator privileges. I notice that the River
> project has not really been set up (except for name, rank, and serial
> number ;-)
>
>  Have fun.

Thanks.
--
Mark

Re: getting back to River project organization...

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Mark,

I've given you jira-administrator privileges. I notice that the River
project has not really been set up (except for name, rank, and serial
number ;-)

  Have fun.

Craig

On Feb 27, 2007, at 11:46 PM, Mark Brouwer wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>> JIRA is mostly self-serve, as opposed to the accounts that need to
>> be set up for committers on people.apache.org and the svn repos.
>> These need special permissions.
>> Everyone can create an account on JIRA. If you don't have
>> sufficient permissions, post to this alias with specific
>> complaints and one of the many JIRA admins can help out. If there
>> is someone with a keen interest in becoming a JIRA admin for the
>> River project let us know that as well, and 'twill be done.
>
> Thanks Craig,
>
> If nobody has a problem with it I'm volunteering to become JIRA admin
> for the River project. I have experience running a JIRA enterprise
> edition myself, so with some help of people who know the ASF
> particulars
> it should work out.
> --
> Mark

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: getting back to River project organization...

Posted by Mark Brouwer <ma...@cheiron.org>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Mark Brouwer <ma...@cheiron.org>.

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.
On Feb 26, 2007, at 8:49 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2007, at 8:06 PM, Jim Hurley wrote:
>
>> Heeeeelllllpppp!  :-o
>
> :)
>

>> I may be just lost in how to proceed (please educate me),
>> but I'm not seeing any of the initial committers from the Proposal
>> actually set up.
>>
>> When I look at:  <http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html>
>> it seems that Brouwer, Creswell, Daley, and Murphy have
>> acknowledged ICLAs, but aren't setup on River.
>
> Great.  I'll send account requests.
>
> geir

Hi Geir,

My account is nigel at apache.org.  Can you grant me karma for river?

Thanks,
Nige

Re: getting back to River project organization...

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Feb 26, 2007, at 8:06 PM, Jim Hurley wrote:

> Heeeeelllllpppp!  :-o

:)

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
Heeeeelllllpppp!  :-o

Fwd: getting back to River project organization...

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
Geir-

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Mark Brouwer <ma...@cheiron.org>.
Jim Hurley wrote:

> I think the first small step(s) should be to get the source code
> in the project as our first milestone.  Why don't we start with
> Service UI, and then focus on the Starter Kit. To that end...  Bill
> has created a JIRA issue for the Service UI code contribution.
> Do we need to define a process in which to vote on accepting it?
> Let's work on getting that done.

As Geir mentioned in this posting
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-river-dev/200701.mbox/%3c68E32F29-CEAC-468D-BAAA-7C00AAB1999D@pobox.com%3e
I think one of the mentors should start a vote [1] for accepting the
code, we can then check (or maybe should already have done that?)
whether it complies with the ASF requirements.

[1] so they can formulate in a way that won't result in a discussion
about whitespace and location in SVN, for it is very easy to end up
there. If that is the intention of such a vote than that is fine,
but I think it is better if the mentors are to blame for that ;-)