Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Øyvind Hvamstad <oy...@hvamstad.net> on 2003/01/15 10:47:56 UTC

Appending a ProcessingInstruction to org.w3c.dom.Document

Hi, I'm generating xml on the fly for my report server, in this context
I need to embedd a stylesheet inside the xml document. In order for this
to work, I need a processing instruction to the parser: <?xsl-stylesheet
type="text/xml" href="#stylesheet"?>. I try to do this in my dom
structure as follows:

<snip language="java">
  org.w3c.dom.Document doc = new org.apache.DocumentImpl();
  org.w3c.dom.Element root = doc.createElement("doc");
  doc.appendChild(root);
  org.w3c.dom.ProcessingInstruction pi
	= doc.createProcessingIntruction("xml-stylesheet",
						   "type=\"text/xml\"
href=\"#stylesheet\"");
  doc.insertBefore((Node)pi, doc.getFirstChild()); (also tried
appendChild((Node)pi);)
</snip>

This results in the following xml structure:

<?xml encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root/>

When what I want is:

<?xml encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xsl-stylesheet type="text/xml" href="#stylesheet"?>
<root/>

Could anyone tell me how to make the instruction append itself?

Thanks in advance

Øyvind Hvamstad
Norway