Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Nick Dunkin <Ni...@vecima.com> on 2021/01/20 14:17:45 UTC

Looking for more info on "Enhance Connection Collapse in ATS" in 8.1

Hi,

We are currently using the Collapsed Forwarding plug-in for Thundering Herd(TH) protection in traffic server 7.1.  It works well but in some cases we do see some leakage towards the origin.

I saw the following comment (from Sudheer Vinukonda) in one of the traffic server email groups and it piqued my interest.

“On a related note, ATS 9.x (and backported to 8.1.x) supports a new cleaner/efficient way of doing the thundering herd protection all within ATS core without needing to use the CF plugin (which is being deprecated in 9.x). You could consider moving to 8.1.x to leverage that”

I have consulted the documentation for 8.1 and 9.x but I can’t find specific mention of this new method for TH protection.

I see some information in the following pull request but I’d like to know if this has been documented more thoroughly somewhere?

https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/pull/6294

Secondly, the following pull request mentions “some basic testing”, but I’d like to understand at what loads this new TH mechanism has been tested.

https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/pull/6053

Thundering herd is one of our most significant issues, so if this new mechanism really improves upon the CF plug-in then we will be over it!

Many thanks,

Nick

Nick Dunkin
Director, Software Engineering
Manager – Architecture and New Product Introduction
o:  +1 678.258.4071
e: nick.dunkin@vecima.com<ma...@vecima.com>

[cidimage001.png@01D6CC8C.6FC5A580]

Re: Looking for more info on "Enhance Connection Collapse in ATS" in 8.1

Posted by Sudheer Vinukonda <su...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Hi Nick,
The new config is documented here
records.config — Apache Traffic Server 10.0.0 documentation

|  |
records.config — Apache Traffic Server 10.0.0 documentation

In terms of testing, this change has been tested only on master functionally and a little bit of simulated traffic.
Note: The change has been back ported to 8.x, but, I've heard a few people mentioning it didn't work as expected for cache stale scenario. Unfortunately, I don't have 8.x environment to reproduce or debug.
Thanks,
Sudheer