Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/06/30 18:54:12 UTC

Deprecate Mail.getSender/setSender

I propose that we deprecate Mail.getSender/setSender in favor of unambiguous
names that relate to the SMTP RFC: Mail.getReversePath/setReversePath.

As it stands, we have:

 Mail.get/setSender === mail.smtp.from === reverse-path
 Mail.get/setSender !== Message.get/setSender

Danny has often had to remind people of that last point.  If we don't fix
the terminology now, it is only going to become worse when we start making
use of VERP.

	--- Noel

RE: Deprecate Mail.getSender/setSender

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
 hurried or impetuous NOT irascible!

> Sometimes it is difficult to
> follow the subtleties of a foreign language.

Sorry.

d.

RE: Deprecate Mail.getSender/setSender

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
Danny,

If by hasty you mean hurried or impetuous, I agree; if you mean irascible, I didn't intend to :-) . Sometimes it is difficult to follow the subtleties of a foreign language.

Vincenzo

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Posted by Steve Brewin <sb...@synsys.com>.
What, name methods after what they do? Where's the challenge in that?

+1

-- Steve

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
If there were a vote I'd happily be +1, no contest IMO.