Posted to rampart-dev@ws.apache.org by Nandana Mihindukulasooriya <na...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/03 05:54:55 UTC

DerivedKeys in SymmetricBinding

Hi,
   In Ramaprt, when we use derived keys in a symmetric binding  assertion
with X509Token, in client side
we create an encrypted key encrypted for servers certificate  and use the
ephemeral key of that encrypted key
to create the DerivedKeys. When the server sends it's response back to the
client, it does the same, by creating
an encrypted key for the client certificate and using ephemeral key of that
encrypted key to create the DerivedKeys.
But this prevents the scenario that anonymous clients sending requests to
the service because we have to have the
clients certificate to create the encrypted key in the response.
  This could be avoided if we use the same ephemeral key to create all the
derived keys in both request and the
response. In the response, we can provide a security token reference in
derived keys using a key identifier to
the encrypted key used in the request as defined in the section
7.7Encrypted Key reference of the specification
wss 1.1  Soap Message Security. Is this the right way to go ?

Regards,
Nandana

Re: DerivedKeys in SymmetricBinding

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@apache.org>.
Nandana Mihindukulasooriya wrote:
> Hi,
>    Created a jira issue on this.
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAMPART-94
>
>    I am currently working on this issue. Btw, this seems to trigger fairly
> big change in related classes in Rampart and WSS4J.  But  IMHO,
> I think it is worth changing the implementation.

Sure... go for it!

Thanks,
Ruchith

Posted by Nandana Mihindukulasooriya <na...@gmail.com>.