Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/08 08:42:44 UTC

Adding a backup command for tomcat manager

We have a usecase as follows.

We have our app deployed in n servers
Now there is a new version of the app.
We wish to deploy the new app to all these servers remotely
If deployment to atleast one server fail we need a rollback on all the
other servers too

So the solution we are adopting now is by enhancing the ManagerServlet
with a two new commands called 'backup' and 'restore'

The backup command can be invoked on any STOPPED application. 'path'
is the only parameter.
It creates a directory #backup in the webapps directory (or appbase) .
If the app is already backed up it is deleted.
move the entire 'path'  directory to the #backup directory and the
.war file if it exists. eg: If the app is foo.war . It moves the
directory 'foo' and foo.war to the #backup directory.

For rollback the command 'restore' is invoked with the 'path' as the parameter.

It looks up in the #backup directory for the 'path' and if it exists
the directory is moved to the webapps directory. if the .war file is
present that also is moved.

We wish to contribute it back . is the design OK?. anyone else who has
a  solution to the same problem?

--
--Noble Paul