Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Brian Bonner <br...@paraware.com> on 2005/10/12 20:17:03 UTC

Flattened Eclipse Project

Hi,

Is there any way to create a flattened project hierarchy that is
eclipse-friendly.  I.e.

instead of:

master-project
+---sub-project-A
+---sub-project-B

to have a hierarchy like this:

master-project
sub-project-A
sub-project-B

Likewise, maybe this is my naivete with respect to using maven w/
eclipse and sub-projects.   Can anybody give me some suggestions in this
regard?

Eclipse (seems) to cater to a flattened hierarchy (dynamic web project,
EAR, etc.)  projects and it expects things in a nice location for
testing and easy use of their debugger.

btw, I found this post:
http://www.nabble.com/Eclipse-configuration-for-a-root-multiproject-t66873.html#a190854,
but this is for maven-1 and I'm not sure if it's easy to convert this
for m2.

Thanks.

--
Brian

Re: Flattened Eclipse Project

Posted by mika <mi...@konglomerat.ch>.
Jose

Thanks, this will save me the time trying out... I guess we'll have to
follow the non-best-practice approach then.

Cheers,
mika

Posted by Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by mika <mi...@konglomerat.ch>.
Hi Brian,

I had a look at the thread and the sample in MNG-743 since I have to
setup a multiproject (eclipse) as well.

Brian Bonner wrote:
> FWIW, This sample posted in MNG-743 is *very useful*.  Nice way of
> illustrating dependent builds.  If you haven't pulled this down already,
> I'd recommend doing so and running an m2 install against it and then m2
> eclipse:eclipse.  It's a great starter template.
>
> The biggest pain I see is that if a developer (me) uses eclipse to
> checkout the root project he has to check it out to another location and
> then delete the project from the workspace (without actually deleting
> the contents).
>
> After this (at least with 3.1) the developer (me, again) can import the
> root project.  It will correctly import each of the modules into eclipse
> (or so it seems).

Now, I've found a solution which I *don't* consider to be
"best-practice"-style at all, but it seems to work for me / us right at
the moment:

+ parent
   + pom.xml
+ module
   + pom.xml
+ webapp
   + pom.xml

The modules in the parent are referenced like this:
<modules>
   <module>../module</module>
   <module>../webapp</module>
</modules>

If I really understood right, for the recommended layout to work
a) the top-most-pom could e.g. reside directly in my eclipse workspace
folder and the subprojects would all be proper eclipse projects in the
workspace
- or -
b) none of my projects are actually in the workspace (filesystem) but
referenced from some other location on the fs - IMHO this would allow
any level of nesting.

Maybe I should give the b)-approach a try when I get some more time...

> A couple of questions:
>
> 1.  I noticed the dependencies are at the pom packaging level vs. the
> war/ear, etc. level.  Is there a reason for this, except that if you for
> example added another war to the servlets project, the assumption is
> that this *too* would be dependent upon fop?

AFAIK the additional nesting levels are just for grouping, the
dependencies are computed independently reading all pom's of dependent
projects recursively... so if module-a depends on fop, webapp-a depends
on module-a, so fop would be packed into webapp-a as well.

> 2.  I noticed that eclipse:eclipse only uses standard builders (i.e.
> jar).  Did anyone have any thoughts on generating the other eclipse
> artifacts (for example for the WTP) for WARs.

No idea. I'm also using WTP, but only because of the editors (xml, jsp,
etc.) but no builders... for all building / packaging I'm using maven
(except for java files of course).

Cheers,
mika

> Thanks.
>
> Brian
>

> Brian Bonner wrote:
>
>> Doh!  I found this post after posting my post:
>> http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-M2-Recommended-Project-Layout-and-Eclipse-t361944.html#a1002147
>>

>> I'm reading through it now.
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> Brian Bonner wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there any way to create a flattened project hierarchy that is
>>> eclipse-friendly.  I.e.
>>>
>>> instead of:
>>>
>>> master-project
>>> +---sub-project-A