Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/19 13:21:15 UTC

Ideas, Ideas!

Hi everyone,

Google SoC is coming up again - you have been notified already. We
need project ideas - what does everyone want to have done for MyFaces,
Tobago or ADF Faces?

This is the existing list - nothing up for MyFaces so far:

http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2006

regards,

Martin

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
I think it would make a great component and a great SoC project. Sean,
you want to mentor someone?

regards,

Martin

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Sean Schofield schrieb:
> Paging is fine for some things but at times it seems excessive.  In
> our system we have a wizard where the user needs to assign a person to
> a document.  When you show the full 2000 users in the system its much
> slower then before we went to JSF.

Is paging really the issue, couldnt it be simply a deferred rendering,
due to datafetching before rendering?
Pushing the whole table into ajax might be the easier solution that way
you have the rest of the page rendered before the data is.

> IMO the user shouldn't see a noticeably slower GUI b/c we've switched
> to JSF.  Paging is a PITA in this case.  I know the name I want, so
> why can't I sort by last name and scroll down to it (and do it fast?)
> Paging sucks in this example.

Well I think you only will get this speed with such a control
if you can serve the data entirely from ram,
and yes once you can do that I agree it it faster, but once you hit the
db I even think this is way slower due to the bigger request burden it
puts onto the db.
Anyway having such a control, would be cool nevertheless ;-)

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Gerald Müllan <bi...@gmail.com>.
> Is SoC how we ended up with Gerald?  A good thing btw ;-)

Yeah, right! :)

LiveGrid would be really cool, I often thought about a component like this.

Werner and me wanted to start working on this but because of the fact
that time is rare to all of us, we didn`t. And sure, we will not do it
in the near future..

So, +1 for a SoC project on this component; but for sean it may come too late :)

cheers,

Gerald

On 4/19/06, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Is SoC how we ended up with Gerald?  A good thing btw ;-)
>
> +1 on a live grid.  I think the ability to buffer a large sortable
> table with AJAX would be VERY handy.  We have a need for this right
> now on one of my client projects.
>
> Sean
>
> On 4/19/06, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ah, well, it depends on your style. You should in any case pick the
> > student with the best proposal.
> >
> > Last year interestingly the students I got interested in SoC had the
> > best proposals - a lot of the other proposals objectively weren't any
> > good. Very often it's just - hey, I want to work on this.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Martin

> > > Sounds good, although local stutents are preferrable for beer reasons I
> > > guess :-D
> > >

> > --
> >
> > http://www.irian.at
> >
> > Your JSF powerhouse -
> > JSF Consulting, Development and
> > Courses in English and German

Gerald Müllan
Schelleingasse 2/11
1040 Vienna, Austria
0043 699 11772506
Bierbrauen@gmail.com

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Ah, I'm sure we'll find students to do this.

Even if we don't have (known) students willing to do this from the
beginning, we'll get a lot of responses online later on.

I had like 6 requests for each of last years proposals.
Important is that the student proposal is well written, detailed and
clear. Without a good proposal, you don't stand a chance as a student
;)

regards,

Martin

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Martin Marinschek schrieb:
> Mario, Werner,
>
> willing to mentoring this?

Sure...

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Mario, Werner,

willing to mentoring this?

want to sign up as mentors?

Would be great projects indeed!

I've also been thinking of

"Merging the skinning systems of ADF Faces, Tobago and Tomahawk"

(where tomahawk has none, of course)

or

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Werner Punz schrieb:
> A seam like conversation system as tag

+infinite
> a seam-less ejb3 opensessioninconversation filter built upon the
> conversation system

+infinite

:-D

Ciao,
Mario

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Martin Marinschek schrieb:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Google SoC is coming up again - you have been notified already. We
> need project ideas - what does everyone want to have done for MyFaces,
> Tobago or ADF Faces?
>
> This is the existing list - nothing up for MyFaces so far:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2006

JSF Implementation of some of the pending dojo components like floating
frame
etc...

Various data models hooking into JPA, Hibernate etc...

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> How about an implementation of a component equivalent to rico livegrid?
>
> http://openrico.org/rico/livegrid.page

something like that sounds very cool :-)

Re: Ideas, Ideas!

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 4/19/06, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Google SoC is coming up again - you have been notified already. We
> need project ideas - what does everyone want to have done for MyFaces,
> Tobago or ADF Faces?

How about an implementation of a component equivalent to rico livegrid?

http://openrico.org/rico/livegrid.page

How about combining newsPaperColumn, extended data table, dataList,
etc.  into one component with multiple renderers?  (dataList may be
too much).

How about combining the navigation menus into one component and
multiple renderers?