Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rez <po...@hotmail.com> on 2009/01/21 01:18:36 UTC

What's the best and most common SVN Windows (Vista) Client

Hi

What's the best and most common SVN Windows (Vista) Client?  I just downloaded SlikSVN, thinking it's a GUI, but after the installation I don't see a desktop icon or anything in the Programs menu but the pdf and relnotes.  Is SlikSVN, a command line tool?

Thanks

Re: What's the best and most common SVN Windows (Vista) Client

Posted by Jan Hendrik <li...@gmail.com>.
Concerning Re: What's the best and most common
Ryan Schmidt wrote on 27 Jan 2009, 21:24, at least in part:

> TortoiseSVN is a full Subversion client implemented as a Windows
> Explorer plugin.

Be aware though that it may run on older Windows versions, but
not install ... Installation on e.g. W2K breaks, requesting some
additional M$ DLL, a free download devs say on TSVN list - if one
passes the M$ Genuine Check ... But W2K no longer does, it's
become an unidentifiable OS for M$ (as for the IE ActiveExtraction,
the 1.5MB executable won't run anyway).  Guess in a few months
TSVN won't install on XP anymore either, it's so ancient an OS, it
worked with less than 4GB RAM ... as if product activation &
hardware repair/upgrade limitation ever were an incentive to drop
W2K for XP!

(Sorry for the rant which would have been more appropriate to
some comments on the TSVN list which incidentally I'm not
subscribed to, only found in the archives when researching the
issue.)

Jan Hendrik
---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     But our society - unlike most in the world - presuppose that freedom
     and liberty are in frame of reference that makes the individual,
     not the government, the keeper of his tastes, beliefs, and ideas.
     That is the philosophy of the First Amendment; and it is the article
     of faith that sets us apart from most nations in the world.
               -- William O. Douglas
                  U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1898-1980

Re: What's the best and most common SVN Windows (Vista) Client

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 21, 2009, at 12:17, Rez wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I figured TortoiseSVN was a
> Winodws Explorer plugin and didn't bother to download it. But I
> will give it a try.  I was looking more for something comparable to
> WinCVS, a full fledged user GUI; I'll check out smartSVN too.  Thanks.

TortoiseSVN is a full Subversion client implemented as a Windows
Explorer plugin.

> BTW, ever since I subscribed to the SVN user group, I get duplicate
> and triplicates of everyone's emails!! Is there any way to get the
> email only once?

If someone uses the recommend Reply All method of replying to your
mailing list posts, you should receive two copies: one delivered to
you, and one delivered to the mailing list. You should not receive
more than two copies unless you are subscribed to the mailing list
under multiple email addresses.

RE: What's the best and most common SVN Windows (Vista) Client

Posted by Rez <po...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by BRM <bm...@yahoo.com>.
Yes, a simple hook script on the server side should do it.

But as stated, this is not an issue with the client per say - it's more that different pieces of software are compiled against different versions of the SVN library, and they are all client side. If someone uses and older client on a newer repository to work with it - even if they don't converse with the server using that client - then it will still cause the problem.  People just need to make sure their tools are in sync with each other, and In know TSVN does releases when it changes library versions, sometimes that's the only difference to the previous release, though usually there are a few bug fixes in there as well.j

The SVN Devs were forward thinking enough to make future and past clients compatible, and be able to disable functionality appropriately. (e.g. future clients will disable functions not available on the server, and the server will speak with a client in its lingo instead of newer protocols if needed).

Ben

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Gwinner <jg...@dazsi.com>.

           == John ==

Re: What's the best and most common SVN Windows (Vista) Client

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
I believe that TortoiseSVN use to add a few extra files for its own
use under the .svn directory for storing merging information. This may
not be true since 1.5 came out.

Normally, you can interchange using TortoiseSVN and the command line
client without any problems as long as you don't do this during a
merge operation.

If you use the command line client with the Eclipse client, you can
throw Eclipse into a confused state and you have to do a refresh
inside Eclipse, so it knows the status of the files it is using.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:55, Robert P. J. Day <rp...@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>>> TortoiseSVN.
>>>
>>> But why limit yourself to a single client? As long as all your
>>> clients are based on the same SVN library version, you can use
>>> multiple clients with the same WC.
>>
>>  is this guaranteed to be true?  a co-worker was using svn on the
>> local code base and (for reasons totally unknown to me) was mixing the
>> command line, rapidsvn, tortoisesvn and whatever weird version control
>> was being supplied through eclipse.  and he got his working copy into
>> a totally confusing state.  despite the fact that i couldn't supply
>> any *precise* reason not to do that, i suggested he limit himself to a
>> smaller set of svn clients.
>>
>>  thoughts?
>>
>> rday
>> --
>>
>> p.s.  i think it was eclipse that was doing strange things with
>> versioning, but i don't know eclipse so that's a totally uneducated
>> guess.
>
> Is it that the WC metadata was getting screwed up, was it that the
> actions were being recorded properly, but were being done weirdly?
>
> I routinely use the command-line, TSVN, and Eclipse on the same WC and
> have had no trouble. The most important part is to make sure they're
> all speaking the same language when it comes to the WC metadata - all
> need to be based upon the same SVN version.

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: What's the best and most common SVN Windows (Vista) Client

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@crashcourse.ca>.
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Andy Levy wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 20:18, Rez <po...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > What's the best and most common SVN Windows (Vista) Client?  I
> > just downloaded SlikSVN, thinking it's a GUI, but after the
> > installation I don't see a desktop icon or anything in the
> > Programs menu but the pdf and relnotes.  Is SlikSVN, a command
> > line tool?
>
> TortoiseSVN.
>
> But why limit yourself to a single client? As long as all your
> clients are based on the same SVN library version, you can use
> multiple clients with the same WC.

  is this guaranteed to be true?  a co-worker was using svn on the
local code base and (for reasons totally unknown to me) was mixing the
command line, rapidsvn, tortoisesvn and whatever weird version control
was being supplied through eclipse.  and he got his working copy into
a totally confusing state.  despite the fact that i couldn't supply
any *precise* reason not to do that, i suggested he limit himself to a
smaller set of svn clients.

  thoughts?

rday
--

p.s.  i think it was eclipse that was doing strange things with
versioning, but i don't know eclipse so that's a totally uneducated
guess.

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.

Re: What's the best and most common SVN Windows (Vista) Client

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Aldrich <Da...@EU.NEC.COM>.
I guess the most common is TortoiseSVN. But also take a look at SmartSVN as it offers a tabular display of the repository as well as Explorer integration. We use both these tools and find them complementary.

David

Windows Live(tm): Keep your life in sync. Check it out.<http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_explore_012009>

Click here<https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/!hlU4nc4a+LTndxI!oX7Up2F0f+S6NySU!dNXuY9sEV0+vZZxr!LxYgwWuMFA6ndROUiWsO16B1rzgsKYpIG1w==> to report this email as spam.

RE: What's the best and most common SVN Windows (Vista) Client

Posted by Oliver Marshall <ol...@g2support.com>.
tortoiseSVN