Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Sanjay Choudhary <ch...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/13 02:49:55 UTC

Re: PROBLEM SOLVED : Line too long error when I try to fork the compiler for jdk1.3

Finally I was able to resolve this issue

On DOS if number of source files or classpath entries are too many we get an
error "Line too Long" and this breaks compiling using jdk1.3 using fork.

To shorten the options and source files to javac command we can use

javac @options @class <other options)

in my solution file options contain list of all the classpath entries and
@class contains list of all .java files that needs to be compiled.

I made changes to AbstractCompilerMojo.java in maven-compiler-plugin (
2.0.1-SNAPSHOT) and JavacCompiler in plexus-compiler-java (1.6-SNAPSHOT).
These changes will kick into play only if fork = true.

After this change I was able to compile project with over 2000 java files

Now questions,

1. How can I share my code with maven group, this will enable us to close
bug http:/jira/codehaus.org/browse/MCCOMPILER-22?
2. How can I share these maven jars with my other team members?(need to do
tomorrow morning .  I will hate to email them these new versions of jars.
Is there a way I can install them in my companies snapshot repository?
(This will involve adding distribution entries in POM.xml for both the
projects. Is it OK?). Any suggestions/ideas.

Please advice.

Cheers,
Sanjay

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
still interested in submitting the patch? that will save somebody else's time
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCOMPILER-22

On 3/12/06, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/13/06, Sanjay Choudhary <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > javac @options @class <other options)
>
> Yep, that's how the problem has been solved elsewhere like in Javadoc.
> Nice work!
>
> > 1. How can I share my code with maven group, this will enable us to close
> > bug http:/jira/codehaus.org/browse/MCCOMPILER-22?
>
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-m2-development.html##Creating%20and%20submitting%20a%20patch
>
> attach the patch to MCOMPLIER-22
>
> > 2. How can I share these maven jars with my other team members?(need to do
> > tomorrow morning .  I will hate to email them these new versions of jars.
> > Is there a way I can install them in my companies snapshot repository?
> > (This will involve adding distribution entries in POM.xml for both the
> > projects. Is it OK?). Any suggestions/ideas.
>
> You've got the right idea here. Change the distributionManagement
> section of your local POM copies to deploy to your own snapshot
> repository and run "mvn deploy", then have the developers include that
> repository as their <pluginRepository> (see
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-development-plugins.html
> for an example).
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: PROBLEM SOLVED : Line too long error when I try to fork the compiler for jdk1.3

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
It was not fixed, see http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCOMPILER-22

Posted by "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>.