Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/07 15:54:37 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Hi folks,

I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.28.0 release, please
give it a test out and vote accordingly.

The files can be grabbed from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.28.0-rc1/

The JIRAs assigned are:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12344569

It is tagged as 0.28.0-rc1.

Regards,
Robbie

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 5/7/19 11:54 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.28.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.28.0-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12344569
>
> It is tagged as 0.28.0-rc1.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie

+1

* Validated signatures and checksums
* Checked for license and notice files
* Build from source and ran the test suite
* Ran some examples against an ActiveMQ Artemis master broker build.

--
Tim Bish

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 16:54, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.28.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.28.0-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12344569
>
> It is tagged as 0.28.0-rc1.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie

+1

I checked things over as follows:
- Verified the signature and checksum files.
- Checked for LICENCE and NOTICE files present in the archive.
- Ran the build, tests, and install.
- Built Qpid Dispatch 1.7.0 + master against it and ran its tests.
- Built Qpid CPP 1.39.0 against it and ran its tests.
- Ran a Qpid Dispatch 1.7.0 router using it, previously built against 0.27.1.
- Ran a Qpid CPP 1.39.0 broker using it, previously built against 0.27.1.
- Ran Qpid JMS 0.42.0 RC1 HelloWorld against the various routers and brokers.

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
+1

* Verified signatures
* Built on (Fedora 28, python2) and (Fedora 29, python3)
* Passes self tests
* Built into qpid-dispatch master, passes self tests

Note: did not test tornado external event loop example

Posted by Ganesh Murthy <gm...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 11:54 AM Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.28.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.28.0-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12344569
>
> It is tagged as 0.28.0-rc1.

+1
* Validated signatures and checksums
* Checked for presence of LICENSE and NOTICE files
* Compiled source on Fedora 29
Built Qpid Dispatch master branch and 1.7 with this proton. All dispatch
tests passed.

Thanks.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2019-05-09 at 17:11 +0100, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> A vote might be more compelling than a recommendation :)
>
> As things stand, no one has yet voted against releasing, and there
> are
> currently 3 binding +1 votes, so the vote would pass tomorrow as-is.
> I'm thus far inclined to let it and proceed, since a fix is not yet
> in
> place and it will likely be awkward for me to actually do a respin
> next week, so doing that will likely significantly delay the release
> yet further. I'll happily do a 0.28.1 or 0.29.0 in similar time frame
> once a fix for this or other issues/improvements becomes available.

This was surprisingly lengthy for me to test using  my usual 'off-
piste' tests.

+1

Tested on FeeBSD 12.0p4:
- Builds, tests ok, except issues with ruby binding and asan testing of
python/ruby.

Tested on Raspbian
- Builds (eventually) tests ok without valgrind. Hard to build with
asan.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 23:23 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
> > On the other hand it is a regression from 0.27, but not exactly a
> > regression for some earlier releases (but with different problems).
>
> I've gone back through 0.27.1, 0.26.0, 0.25.0, 0.24.0 and 0.23.0 and
> in
> all those helloworld_tornado.py and helloworld_direct_tornado.py
> work
> though you are right that the recurring_timer_tornado.py example did
> not.

Indeed, the issue was with the tornado scheduler example - I expect
that made me think those examples were unmaintained and nobody really
cared about them - why not run that test too?

> > Gordon do you want to make this failure -1 the release and respin
> > when
> > I have a fix?
>
> Whats the nature of the issue/fix? Is it only these examples that
> would
> be affected?

I'll know when I find the fix! It's not entirely clear yet - but it
looks like the existing code might only accidentally work.

> My inclination would be to respin with the fix. Though I would
> readily
> concede that the examples are corner cases, I believe they have been
> working through recent releases (apart from the timer one) and it
> would
> be a shame to break that without some reason.

Agreed.

Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 08/05/2019 10:52 pm, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 10:41 -0400, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
>> On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 13:29 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
>>> * ran all python examples (against qpid-cpp broker for those that
>>>     require a broker)
>>>     - the helloworld_direct_tornado.py no longer works (it does work
>>> with
>>>       0.27.1)
>>>       Not sure whether this is deliberate or expected.
>>
>> It is expected to work. It certainly was working when the python
>> changes were initially committed. I will give this a try and see
>> what's
>> going on.
>
> The work to fix the reconnect behaviour (and reinstate non blocking
> connect) did indeed break the tornado examples.
>
> I would make this release blocking except that the tornado examples
> were actually broken for a long time (afaict) before I fixed them in
> SHA 603ce7a7 (PROTON-1991) which was only 4 months ago so I'm not
> actually sure how many people really care about them.
>
> On the other hand it is a regression from 0.27, but not exactly a
> regression for some earlier releases (but with different problems).

I've gone back through 0.27.1, 0.26.0, 0.25.0, 0.24.0 and 0.23.0 and in
all those helloworld_tornado.py and helloworld_direct_tornado.py work
though you are right that the recurring_timer_tornado.py example did not.

The test_examples run helloworld_tornado.py and
helloworld_direct_tornado.py and I run that pretty regularly (certainly
most proton releases I vote on) so I would have been surprised if they
had been broken. (The recurring timer example is not automated and I
never really run that one).

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 13:29 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
> * ran all python examples (against qpid-cpp broker for those that
>    require a broker)
>    - the helloworld_direct_tornado.py no longer works (it does work
> with
>      0.27.1)
>      Not sure whether this is deliberate or expected.

It is expected to work. It certainly was working when the python
changes were initially committed. I will give this a try and see what's
going on.

This might well be a -1.

Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 07/05/2019 4:54 pm, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.28.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.28.0-rc1/

* verified signature and checksum
* built and installed from source including all tests
* ran all python examples (against qpid-cpp broker for those that
   require a broker)
   - the helloworld_direct_tornado.py no longer works (it does work with
     0.27.1)
     Not sure whether this is deliberate or expected. If it is decided
     that support for that example is no longer required then
     - at a minimum that example should be removed from the tree
     - would be nice to have an alternative example showing how to
       work with some external event loop
* verified basic reconnect working as expected for python client
* built dispatch against it including all tests

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
+1
built & ctests ok on Ubuntu18
pyngus unit test ok
oslo.messaging tox tests ok

wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.28.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.28.0-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12344569