Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Pavel Krupets <pk...@palmtreebusiness.com> on 2007/11/12 20:40:24 UTC

URL resolver timeout

Hello,

Couldn't find anything about timeouts in documentation, so:

Would be nice to have URL resolvers timeout property. Maven2 sometimes gets
tooooo slow.
Thank you!

With regards,
Pavel Krupets

Re: URL resolver timeout

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Pavel Krupets wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Couldn't find anything about timeouts in documentation, so:
>
> Would be nice to have URL resolvers timeout property. Maven2 sometimes gets
> tooooo slow.
> Thank you!

Be warned, Its really hard to get good timeouts working in all cases.
Things like java5 proxy support stuff makes things worse; adds delays to
URL() constructors while reverse DNS lookups of the proxy server take
place.  RMI is even worse: you can only tune the timeout for
constructing a socket if you haven't disabled the fallback-to-HTTP option.

I'm +1 for robust code here, but dont want to point the blame at the
Maven team, not when they have to deal with  the team who wrote java.net
and its socket API. I tried to get the proxy code on Ant1.7 working
better for Java5 and had to back off as it broke things dramatically
(things like IBM JREs and Oracle JDBC connections). Whoever maintains
that code does it from a well managed network, not on a laptop that
roams to cafes, offices and homes with different network connections in
every location.

-steve

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

RE: URL resolver timeout

Posted by Pavel Krupets <pk...@palmtreebusiness.com>.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-640

Indeed. Could you open an issue in JIRA to keep track of your request?

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/