Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Renaud Richardet <re...@epfl.ch> on 2014/08/11 23:11:32 UTC

Re: Lucas

Hi Armin,

I used it a while ago. I had to apply the following patch to make it work:
https://gist.github.com/renaud/bc34a48ca22f787f6c11

HTH, Renaud

--
Renaud Richardet
Blue Brain Project  PhD candidate

Re: AW: AW: Lucas

Posted by Erik Fäßler <er...@uni-jena.de>.
Hi all,

thanks for the hint. As far as I could see by a quick glance into the docs, it integrates UIMA AEs as Lucene TokenStream components. This is a good idea for a more sophisticated NLP analysis in my opinion. However, I think it is not suited for largely scaled-out applications. If your UIMA pipeline needs serious processing power, the Lucene pipeline is a bottleneck because you either write directly into a Lucene index (thus single threaded) or into Solr (threads equal to the number of Solr instances). Your could, of course, also write multiple Lucene indexes in parallel which would require a merging-post-processing step.
Either way, I feel you would give up on the scaling capabilities of UIMA. Perhaps you could use UIMA AS from the inside of a Lucene analysis component but it seems overly complicated to me.

With LuCas I can use the full power of UIMA and just send the results into a Lucene index or Solr. All the big processing stuff can be done with UIMA AS or, in my case, with an arbitrary large set of synchronized CPEs.

My UIMA pipeline runs two and a half days on 10 (older) server machines for the complete set of documents I am working with. I wouldn't want to squeeze this into a Lucene analyzer.

Again, correct me if I'm mistaken and my points wouldn't be valid. I'd be glad to learn about alternatives, and be it only to be properly informed.

Best,

Erik

Re: AW: AW: Lucas

Posted by "Dr. Armin Wegner" <ar...@googlemail.com>.
Hello Erik,

Re: AW: AW: Lucas

Posted by Erik Fäßler <er...@uni-jena.de>.
Hi all,

Re: AW: AW: Lucas

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

when I helped out with the Solr integration we still used UIMA to index
documents in our search servers.
We don't do that anymore. The indexing code now runs directly as a
MapReduce job for batch indexing, and
in Storm for real time indexing.

Jörn

On 08/26/2014 09:43 AM, Armin.Wegner@bka.bund.de wrote:
> Hi Erik and Jörn,
>
> I've used Solr in the meantime. It is so easy to quickly write a CAS consumer that sends documents to a Solr web service. Writing to a Lucene index is minimally more work. Could this be the reason why nobody cares about the outdated version? Is there really a need for Lucas and Solrcas anymore? What do you think? It would be nice to have some opinions on this.
>
> Of all people reading this list, who wants to have a Lucas or Solrcas for the current version of Lucene?
>
> Cheers,
> Armin

AW: AW: Lucas

Posted by Ar...@bka.bund.de.

Re: AW: Lucas

Posted by Erik Fäßler <er...@uni-jena.de>.

Re: AW: Lucas

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
It would probably nice to migrate those to the current versions of
Lucene/Solr.

Jörn

On 08/13/2014 08:44 AM, Armin.Wegner@bka.bund.de wrote:
> Hi Renauld,
>
> that's nice, thank you. Are you using Lucene 4.x or an older version?
>
> It's a while ago, that I've asked that question and I didn't get much response. Is the project dead? Is it just to easy to code a simple annotator for Lucene or Solr to justify the effort maintaining Lucas and Solrcas?
>
> Cheers,
> Armin

AW: Lucas

Posted by Ar...@bka.bund.de.