Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2011/04/13 10:19:23 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Karaf clustering feature in Karaf 3.0.0

Hi all,

Ioannis made a great work by using Hazelcast to create a cluster of
Karaf nodes.

He has already blogged around:
http://iocanel.blogspot.com/2011/03/karaf-clustering-using-hazelcast.html

I like the design and I think it could be very interesting to embed this
feature in Karaf 3.0.0.

Ioannnis has kindly accepted to donate this work to Karaf.

The next steps are:
- think about an assemblies extension to provide cluster ready distribution
- document Karaf clustering in manual (mostly based on the Ioannis' blog)
- add an example of Karaf cluster usage.
I propose to work with Ioannis around these steps.

WDYT ?
Are you OK to ship Karaf clustering using Hazelcast in Karaf ?
Do you think that we need a kind of "agnostic" layer around clustering
(especially if some of us already started to work around a different
kind of Karaf clusters) ?

Thanks
Regards
JB

Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf clustering feature in Karaf 3.0.0

Posted by jb...@nanthrax.net.
Thanks for this news Guillaume.

Let me take a look on the doc to have a better overview.

Regards
JB
Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Note that fabric does the provisioning too.  Kinda like ace, but more
specific to karaf as it uses karaf features.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi All,

--
----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf clustering feature in Karaf 3.0.0

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I've fixed the users guide (forgot to upload the updated version).
And yeah, I'll write more asap.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guillaume,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
The criticality is a really subjective.   Karaf and before ServiceMix
Kernel has been created 3 years ago and the features we're talking
about have not been considered critical until recently.   We have lots
of people using Karaf for simple deployments and they don't
necessarily need any clustering features.
Another example is the provisioning side which could be done using
Ace, but Ace isn't part of Karaf.

I'm not arguing about the value here, but I disagree we *need* to put
that in the karaf trunk.   I'd much rather a separate subproject
somewhere as I don't expect all karaf users to need that, and I think
keeping the clustering part separate will ensure a better independence
of trunk.  In addition, I think the clustering solution could provide
more than just Karaf (think about Camel, ActiveMQ and ServiceMix as
we're supporting in Fabric as described in
http://fabric.fusesource.org/documentation/user-guide.html).
Such a project is bound to grow in scope and considering that, I
really don't think trunk is a good location (unless we strictly limit
the scope).

As for the locating that in the ASF, that's a different story,  you
absolutely have the right to start something in the ASF or outside.
The same has happened already, such as with Archiva / Nexus for
example.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
I believe that Karaf clustering is a first level feature for Karaf
3.0, as such perhaps it can be made available as a user selectable
choice - same as one can choose felix, equinox, or another OSGi
container.

As the default solution I have to give it a -1, as I think we really
need to be able to support it directly in Karaf.

Jamie

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
I have to say I'm with Christian her right now.
I really appreciate the work Ioannis has done, and I also appreciate
the work Guillaume has done. So we do end up in
a quite comfortable situation. There is a open solution waiting and
also a fully funded solution which can be bought with
proper support.

Now I think as this is a community driven project, where lots of
people do invest personal time we should
honor that also and give a +1 for Ioannis solution as the default one
and a +1 for making it exchangeable so
the fabric solution can step in if it is needed.

Just my 2 cents here :)

regards, Achim

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Rob, Choosing a community driven solution is not "re-inventing" the wheel,
its just choosing the "free" wheel.

Cheers!

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--
----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf clustering feature in Karaf 3.0.0

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Ioannis,

Before considering to resolve something through Apache Way, I think that
it is interesting that we take the time to discuss, to review what
Guillaume suggest and confront this with the idea introduced by
Jean-Baptiste, you and the others. Karaf 3.0 and our communities of
users deserve it and it makes no sense to create a schism within Karaf
project.

Regards,

Charles

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I'm totally agree with Chris.

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Cellar can leverage its own feature to broadcast configuration changes
across nodes, so there is no need to go and configure each
node separately ;-)

Moreover, it provides some shell commands that allow you to broadcast
commands to all or specific nodes.

So for instance if you wish to add a new feature to a specific node and not
to all nodes, all you have to do is to add it to the feature blacklist PID.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf clustering feature in Karaf 3.0.0

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 14:59, Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Guillaume: Don't worry there is nothing to take personally.
> +1 On creating a thread and start a discussion about the features we want
> our clustering engine to have, In fact I will create one asap.
>
> I will disagree with Guillaume on that its not usable in real life, as I
> initially implemented that to solve some "real life" problems of mine and to
> be more exact:
> a) Automatic Discovery of nodes

Automatic discovery is really a myth imho.  Such protocols have to use
multicast and multicast is really forbidden in a lot of places.  So
*relying* on multicast would be a mistake I think.   I've seen
hazelcast can be configured using static ips which sounds better
(though multicast is nice for demos, no problem with that).

> b) Configuration replication
> c) Feature repository & feature state replication. etc.

That's really my problem.  Maybe it's a misunderstanding, but when you
say "replication", I hear same thing everywhere, which I have a
problem with.
I think that definitely solve some problems, but it looks too limited.

> imho these are "real" problems, they do cover the needs that have been
> discussed and that have been around the last months (at least as expressed
> via https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-376).
> Any feedback and/or additional requirements/features are more than welcome
> and I would gladly work on them.
>
> Also note, that the statement "all nodes are roughly the same" is not very
> accurate, as each node can be configured to have different role inside the
> cluster.
> a) A node can be set to be just a receiver of events
> b) A node can be set to be just a transmitter of events
> c) A node can set a white list/black list by type of event and/or event id
> (e.g. a node could disable config replication, or even exclude a specifc PID
> from the list of replicated PIDs)

How / where is that configured ?  If you have to be explicit on what you block,
doesn't that mean that each time you add something to your cluster, you need
to go to all nodes to tell them to not include that new stuff.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Much of the thread till now was about which solution should be included
as default and what non technical properties it should have. An
important question here was who controls the solution (community vs
company). While this is an important question I think we have discussed
this quite good already.

So I would like to come back to the more technical requirements of the
clustering support. The problem here is that we each have very different
ideas what we need in the clustering which is very valid but needs to be
understood to avoid that we misunderstand each other.

So to get ahead with this I added some scenarios to the clustering wiki
page. I propose that we first gather some scenarios from all the people
involved and then discuss how to achieve these sceanrios and how they
map to the proposed solutions.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Karaf+clustering

Christian

--
----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf clustering feature in Karaf 3.0.0

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
+1 to start the vote

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the vote

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi JB,

+1 for the vote

2011/5/3 Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>:
> Hi all,
>
> I've deeper tested Cellar tonight, especially the group usage and it works
> like a charm. I began to make some enhancements (commands output, sync flag,
> etc).
>
> In the mean time, I launched a thread on ACE about the role of Karaf and ACE
> in a cluster environment. In ACE, we support clouding environment using
> jclouds. To avoid overlap between project, I launched the discussion.
>
> I think it's the right time to launch a vote about to include Cellar on
> Karaf trunk.
> WDYT ?
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 05/02/2011 08:45 PM, Achim Nierbeck wrote:
>>
>> This looks really great Ioannis, nothing more I can add :)
>>
>> Regards, Achim
>>
>> Am 02.05.2011 03:59, schrieb Andreas Pieber:
>>>
>>> This looks really cool Ioannis! Thank you very much for your effort!
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Andreas

*Achim Nierbeck*

Committer & Project Lead

Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf clustering feature in Karaf 3.0.0

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi all,

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Awesome Ioannis.

Thanks
Regards
JB

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Let me try to explain a bit more what I had in mind.

Some of you may know I've been working on this stuff over the past
weeks.  When this thread came up, I thought some of you (as users of
Karaf) might be interested in what I had worked on, so I actually
pushed really hard to be able to open source bits (which is now
available as Fabric).    I think that would be helpful for some of us
to be able to use those bits.

Now, my original idea was not really to embed Fabric in Karaf.
Fabric has a broader goal than Karaf and has bits that are targeted
for ServiceMix, Camel or ActiveMQ (see the Fabric extensions described
at http://fabric.fusesource.org/documentation/user-guide.html#Fabric_Extensions).
 As such, it would not make sense to actually dump the code into
Karaf.   I sincerely think (but maybe I'm wrong), that the clustering
thing we're talking about is a big project in itself, that it is more
tied to OSGi than to Karaf itself (by that I mean, that it could be
useful for people that use OSGi but not Karaf to some extent).

I also think the notion of clustering is also really dependant on what
you cluster.   Clustering web applications has nothing to do with
clustering activemq brokers.  What does a Karaf clustering solution
really mean ?  Clustering activemq brokers is not simply deploying the
same bundle in multiple nodes.  For example, I see in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Karaf+clustering
some thoughts about statefull / stateless:  I think that in order to
provide a generic way to cluster applications you need to control
things.   JEE defines a programming model using EJB, WebServices,
etc... and everything can be controlled.  At the end, you kinda have
to enforce some things.

Karaf is really designed to be a general purpose server side
container.  ServiceMix and Geronimo are using it already, maybe in the
future other Apache projects may want to leverage it too.   However,
most of those I'm thinking about would not be interested in a
clustering solution such as a generic one described at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Karaf+clustering.

I think what we're discussing here is a different thing: some kind of
environment based on OSGi which is highly distributed, with some kind
of automatic provisioning.  And I think if you want to actually have a
reliable system, a provisioning agent need to be in full control of
the provisioning.  It seems to me very hard to imagine a reliable
agent that can cope with any user interaction: you can't really
support a user uninstalling a bundle, can you ?   So you need to lock
things down.  And at the end, I think such a solution is not Karaf.
It can reuse Karaf, but it's not Karaf.

Now, for Fabric itself, I'm not sure if FuseFource will be willing to
donate it to Apache.  I can understand some of you (mostly the talend
guys because they try to get into the same business as FuseSource)
would rather start a new project than reusing Fabric.   But for people
that don't have a business closely related to Karaf, things are
certainly a bit different.   The ASL is not the only open source
license in the world and being fanatic on anything is usually not
good.  I'm not aware of any ASL compatible OS, so I'm quite confident
none of us is religious on those things.   Each license has a purpose
and one need to respect the will of the licensor.

Last, if several people are willing to work on an OSGi based
clustering (need a better term) and/or provisioning solution at the
ASF, maybe a better way would be to go and start a project in the
incubator.   FWIW, the Ace project could definitely be interested in
such an effort.  I've seen a demo a few weeks ago of creating ec2
instances on the fly and provisioning them with Ace and that looked
quite cool.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet