Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2013/05/26 17:35:24 UTC

[Graph] the future of commons-graph and modularization

Hi all, mates,

after a long while I haven't touched commons-graph, I had the
opportunity to get influenced by some activities at my paid work that
made me think twice on what as been already done in that component,
and would like to bring new experiences in.

So, what I still like about it:

 * graph APIs: the use of generics make the usage of graphes
extensible and adaptable;

 * fluent APIs: this is the most powerful feature IMHO that simplifies
the APIs usage;

What I *don't* like anymore:

 * poor modularization: commons-graph is ATM a big fat monolith;

 * one single entry-point; for each new family of algorithm(s), new
methods have to be added in the main Commons-Graph class.

What I would like to propose to work _in a separated branch_, is
trying to split the big monolith in smaller modules and separate APIs
from related implementation as much as possible.

Questions are:

 * WDYT? :)

 * About release process: would it be acceptable, here in commons,
release a single module - the only one that has been changed, I mean -
without releasing the whole project?

 * In case the answer to previous question is "no", would it make
sense moving commons-graph to the Incubator (and possibly to TLP)?

TIA, all the best!
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [Graph] the future of commons-graph and modularization

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hello Claudio!

nice to read that commons-graph has a real production use case! :)

So, don't worry about APIs breakage: as I mentioned, I'll prepare my
proposal in a separated branch, so you can continue using the current
codebase in your lab without breaking your build :P

Thanks a lot, have a nice day!
All the best,
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Claudio Squarcella <sq...@dia.uniroma3.it>.
Hi Simone and all,

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Rodion,

Posted by Rodion Efremov <ro...@cs.helsinki.fi>.

Re: [Followup][Graph] the future of commons-graph and modularization

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Olá Bruno!

thanks *a lot* for reviewing the experimental branch for
modulazitation, really much more than appreciated!

And thanks a lot for setting up the Jenkins job, it does help!

Have a nice WE, all the best,
-Simo

http://twitter.com/simonetripodi

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Bruno P. Kinoshita

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br>.
Hi Simo!

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all guys,