Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/10/22 19:12:54 UTC

Re: How do we determine 'stable' pig version?

Hi, Koji,
Here is the criteria I use:
(i) How do we determine how many releases to show on the front download
page?
We usually keep two most recent releases on the front page according to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PIG/HowToRelease.

(ii) How do we determine which release is considered 'stable' ?
Here "stable" means passing all tests, peer reviewed. It does not mean
production "stable". Actually there is no way for us to know production
"stable" after user download it, use it and gives feedback. That's why we
will continue fixing bugs after major release. and make minor releases.

Thanks,
Daniel

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: How do we determine 'stable' pig version?

Posted by Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com>.
That's true. "stable" only means "current". It seems more meaningful to
change "stable" to "current".

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: How do we determine 'stable' pig version?

Posted by Olga Natkovich <on...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Koji Noguchi <kn...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Thanks Alan, Daniel.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
I don't think we should change our use of stable.  Our usage is in line with the Hadoop usage of the term in their releases.  To the best of our knowledge as Apache developers it is stable.  It passes all of the tests we have.  We have no criteria for deciding stability beyond this.

Alan.

On Oct 22, 2013, at 4:00 PM, Daniel Dai wrote:

> Yes, we can revisit. The question is how to determine the stability? 0.11.1
> is released for a while and should be considered stable, but actually it
> contains problem raised just recently. After we release 0.12.1, how soon
> should we declare it a stable release?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel
>

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Koji Noguchi <kn...@yahoo-inc.com>wrote:
>
>> Thanks Daniel, Olga!  Keeping 3 versions would be nice.
>>
>> As for 'stable', can we revisit the definition?
>> If it's *always* pointing to the latest release, I don't see the need for
>> having this link(dir).
>> Is it adding any value?
>>
>> Koji
>>

>> On Oct 22, 2013, at 1:43 PM, Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That's totally make sense. Let's keep both download/documentation for 3
>>> versions.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Daniel

>> found

>> daijy@hortonworks.com>

>> we

>> entity to
>> reader
>> that
>> immediately
>>>
>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: How do we determine 'stable' pig version?

Posted by Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

> >> Here "stable" means passing all tests, peer reviewed. It does not mean
> >> production "stable". Actually there is no way for us to know production
> >> "stable" after user download it, use it and gives feedback. That's why
> we
> >> will continue fixing bugs after major release. and make minor releases.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Daniel
> >>

> >> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Koji Noguchi <knoguchi@yahoo-inc.com

> >> --
> >> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or
> entity to
> reader
> >> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> that
> >> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: How do we determine 'stable' pig version?

Posted by Koji Noguchi <kn...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com>.
That's totally make sense. Let's keep both download/documentation for 3
versions.

Thanks,
Daniel

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Olga Natkovich <on...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Couple of suggestions:
>
> (1) I think we are trying to go for a more frequent release model and in
> that case it would make sense to keep perhaps 3 releases. Based on our
> experience at Yahoo, Pig 10 is the really stable release. We recently found
> a couple of critical bugs in 11 for which we posted patches. Also the
> community knows that we delayed a couple of key bugs in 12 till 12.1
> (2) Our documentation needs to be consistent with the number of releases
> we advertise as supported. Our docs currently go all the way to Pig 9.
>
> Olga
>

> On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:13 AM, Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi, Koji,
> Here is the criteria I use:
> (i) How do we determine how many releases to show on the front download
> page?
> We usually keep two most recent releases on the front page according to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PIG/HowToRelease.
>
> (ii) How do we determine which release is considered 'stable' ?
> Here "stable" means passing all tests, peer reviewed. It does not mean
> production "stable". Actually there is no way for us to know production
> "stable" after user download it, use it and gives feedback. That's why we
> will continue fixing bugs after major release. and make minor releases.
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel
>

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Koji Noguchi <knoguchi@yahoo-inc.com
> >wrote:
>

> > When I went to the pig release download page (through
> > http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/pig), I only saw 0.11.1 and 0.12
> > available.
> > I later learned that there is an 'archive' link(
> > http://archive.apache.org/dist/pig/)  that list other versions (0.8 to
> > 0.10).
> >
> > Two questions.
> >
> > (i) How do we determine how many releases to show on the front download
> > page?
> >
> > (ii) How do we determine which release is considered 'stable' ?
> >
> > I still consider the stable version to be 0.10.1 so I was surprised not
> > see that available on the front download page
> > and even more surprised to see release 0.12 flagged as 'stable'.
> >
> > Koji
> >

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: How do we determine 'stable' pig version?

Posted by Olga Natkovich <on...@yahoo.com>.
Couple of suggestions:

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE