Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Red-Tail Books <in...@redtailbooks.com> on 2016/07/08 19:32:19 UTC

[users@httpd] Strange access.log entry...

Saw this in my access.log this morning...

169.229.3.91 - - [08/Jul/2016:05:44:24 -0700]
"^\x05A\xea\xa1\xfa\xbe\x15" 200 11434 "-" "-"
Can someone more knowledgeable explain what the "request" was and why it
was successful? And what 11k of data did apache serve?

Thanks
dave

Re: [users@httpd] Strange access.log entry...

Posted by Spork Schivago <sp...@gmail.com>.
I'll be sure to keep you in the loop Red-Tail Books.   If I were to take a
guess, I'd guess that hex value is the key to fully understanding this.
Wish I knew more about exploits and stuff.   I remember similar things like
that when I was kid and used to play around with stuff like Metasploit.   A
lot of the exploits had similar payloads I think they were called.  That
peaked my interest a bit.

I too am fairly new to operating a server and I know when I see weird stuff
like that, I get worried.   Thankfully, I've been fortunate enough to have
complete strangers explain stuff to me and put my mind at rest.   It's just
nice to try and return the favour sometime, you know?

Best of luck!

Ken

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Strange access.log entry...

Posted by Dr James Smith <js...@sanger.ac.uk>.
Is the response the same as the response for / - thats' all I can assume...?

Posted by Jonesy <SP...@jonz.net>.

Posted by Red-Tail Books <in...@redtailbooks.com>.

--
Red-Tail Books