Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Kapil Arya <ka...@mesosphere.io> on 2015/06/25 19:40:00 UTC

Update minimum required automake version to 1.13

Hi All,

First off, I am not sure if we record the minimum required version of
automake/autoconf somewhere in the documentation.

Having said that, I want to propose to move to automake 1.13 in order to be
able to use the "AM_EXTRA_RECURSIVE_TARGETS" macro which allows us to add a
"test" target to just build the test and not run it. The issue is tracked
at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-2273 and the corresponding
RRs have received some ship-its.

Best,
Kapil

==================
Compatibility notes:
Automake 1.13 came out in 2013 and here is the compatibility status for
leading distros:
* Debian: Since 8.0 [1].
* Ubuntu: Since 13.10 [2].
* Fedora: Since Fedora 20 [3].
* Centos: Since 7.0 [4].

1. https://packages.debian.org/jessie/automake
2. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/+package/automake
3. https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/automake
4. http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/Packages/

Re: Update minimum required automake version to 1.13

Posted by Kapil Arya <ka...@mesosphere.io>.
In order to better evaluate the current position of developers with respect
to autotools versions, is there a way we can do an informal poll to see how
many people are still using automake 1.11 or 1.12? If it's only a small
number of people, we can try to find an upgrade path for their
system/distro to upgrade automake. Is this a reasonable things to do/ask
for?

Kapil

Posted by James Peach <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kapil Arya <ka...@mesosphere.io>.
wrote:

> Taking a step back, it looks like the patches in MESOS-2273 approached the
> problem assuming 1.13. Have you re-considered how you might approach it if
> you didn't have 1.13? Or is this 1.13 macro the only solution?

Hmm, I went back to take another quick look at the situation and here is my
conclusion. The automake recursive targets makes the life somewhat easier
(and make the code less hackish) by taking care of recursive invocation of
the "tests" target for the subdirs. If we didn't have this new macro, the
approach would have been to add a "tests" target by hand to the appropriate
Makefile.am files (top-level, src/,  3rdparty/, and 3rdparty/libprocess).
This is what we have been doing for stuff like "maven-install" and "bench"
targets. So, if we were to go for the upgrade path, we might consider
rewriting some of these existing targets as well.

> Worth noting that users can already build the tests without running them by
> specifying GTEST_FILTER="", so is the upgrade pain worth it? With gcc 4.8,
> we had a lot of benefits motivating us :)

I do partially agree with you in that with gcc 4.8 we had huge benefits
compared to what we get with automake 1.13. Nevertheless, I would like to
quote Cody's comment from the RR in response to Dominic's question that was
along the same lines:

"Not much code, there is runtime / developer slow down overhead in
GTEST_FILTER (not documented, build test groups in clusters, just
running the constructors/destructors around the tests takes a bit). I
can also break the GTEST_FILTER setup (I can add a destructor to a
test which will generate SIGSEGV and break a "make check
GTEST_FILTER=''" even though tests compile).

This should enable parallelizing building all the tests in mesos rather
than doing them in chunks which should make things go quicker when I just
want to verify the tests build. Also makes it easier to seperate automated
builder failure states without relying on undocumented / non-explicit
behavior (compiling core, compiling tests, running tests)

Similar sentiments were expressed by Joris as well, if I remember correctly.

Having said that, if we decide that the automake upgrade path is too much
of a hassle, I would like to take a stab at adding the non-recursive
"tests" target. It definitely is less hackish than "make check
GTEST_FILTER=" :-).

Kapil

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kapil Arya <ka...@mesosphere.io>.