Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Craig Dixon <di...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/08 22:54:28 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.9 - When JSPs change, gives error "org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl could not be instantiated"

I've encountered a strange problem with my JSPs in Tomcat. Whenever I
change one of them, then try to access it from the browser, I get the
following error:

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

message

it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Provider
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl could not be instantiated:
java.lang.NullPointerException
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:249)

root cause

javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError: Provider
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl could not be instantiated:
java.lang.NullPointerException
	javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	org.apache.taglibs.standard.tlv.JstlBaseTLV.validate(JstlBaseTLV.java:152)
	org.apache.taglibs.standard.tlv.JstlCoreTLV.validate(JstlCoreTLV.java:96)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.validate(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:750)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator.validateXmlView(Validator.java:1527)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator.validate(Validator.java:1495)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:157)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:286)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:267)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:255)
	org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:556)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:293)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:291)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache
Tomcat/5.5.9 logs.

I don't have the foggiest idea what that means, but when I stop and
restart Tomcat, everything usually works fine (until the next time I
change the file.)

I'd send relevant source code, but it seems to happen with every page
in multiple applications. I've posted this in several forums and have
yet to even get a reply. This is driving me batty! Any ideas?

Re: Tomcat 5.5.9 - When JSPs change, gives error "org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl could not be instantiated"

Posted by Craig Dixon <di...@gmail.com>.
Got mod_jk running; that's not the issue.

Another curious piece to this anomaly is that making a change and then
restarting server does not head off the error. I have to make the
change, access the page (thus generating the error) THEN restart the
server and access the page again, at which point the error is
corrected.

If I change more than one page, I have to access one page, restart the
server, access the second page, restart the server again, etc. Why
should accessing the page and throwing the error make any difference?
Why does restarting the server not help unless the error is thrown
first? Can anybody help me with this? It's driving me nuts!

Posted by Craig Dixon <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Dixon <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Diggins <su...@red56.co.uk>.