Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/21 14:30:14 UTC

Servlet and JSP APIs in java repository

Hi,

I'm a member of the maven group. We are responsible of mantaining and
keep consistent the repository at www.ibiblio.org/maven.

There's a lot of confusion about the servlet and jsp apis, many
projects reference the servlet 2.4 while in Tomcat 5.5 the version
included says 2.4.public_draft, so I really don't know if there's
available a 2.4 "final" somewhere.

So this is a request for help, if you could tell us what versions of
servlet api exist since 2.3 and jsp apis, where to get them and the
license (some Sun APIs can't be redistributed in the repository), then
I'll fix the repository.

TIA

Regards

Carlos Sanchez

Re: Servlet and JSP APIs in java repository

Posted by Fernando Nasser <fn...@redhat.com>.
Hi,

I would also like to know the relashionship between the Apache Geronimo
"specs" version of the servlet API and JSP specifications.
For instance, we currently get the Servlet 2.4 API with both Geronimo
"specs" and Tomcat 5.5. Similar for JSP.

Are they the same?

Which one should be mavenized and used everywhere Servlet adn JSP are
needed?

Regards to all,
Fernando

Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>There's a lot of confusion about the servlet and jsp apis, many
>>projects reference the servlet 2.4 while in Tomcat 5.5 the version
>>included says 2.4.public_draft, so I really don't know if there's
>>available a 2.4 "final" somewhere.
>

> The version that ships with Tomcat 5.5 and all but the very first couple of
> Tomcat 5.0 releases is Servlet Specification v2.4 final.  (And JSP
> Specification v2.0 final).
>
> When you say it "says 2.4.public_draft," what precisely do you mean?  Is
> that the name of a file somewhere, a directory, a CVS tag?
>

>>So this is a request for help, if you could tell us what versions of
>>servlet api exist since 2.3 and jsp apis, where to get them and the
>>license (some Sun APIs can't be redistributed in the repository), then
>>I'll fix the repository.
>

> There was Servlet Spec 2.3 and JSP Spec 1.2, which go with Tomcat 4.  Then
> there were a few Servlet Spec 2.4 PFD (Proposed Final Draft) releases, but
> that's a long time ago.  Everything for the past year and several months has
> been Servlet Spec 2.4 (final) and JSP Spec 2.0 (final).
>
> As far as CVS: while both these packages ship with Tomcat, they have their
> own CVS area.  It's the jakarta-servletapi-5 CVS module, and under it you'll
> find directories for each spec.  The binaries (they're actually jars,
> servlet-api.jar and jsp-api.jar, respectively) in there are for Servlet Spec
> 2.4 final and JSP Spec 2.0 final.
>
> I hope that clarifies things.  If not, please let us know how else we can
> help.
>
> Yoav

Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300
Toronto, Ontario   M4P 2C9

Re: Servlet and JSP APIs in java repository

Posted by Fernando Nasser <fn...@redhat.com>.
Hi,

Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>There's a lot of confusion about the servlet and jsp apis, many
>>projects reference the servlet 2.4 while in Tomcat 5.5 the version
>>included says 2.4.public_draft, so I really don't know if there's
>>available a 2.4 "final" somewhere.
>

> The version that ships with Tomcat 5.5 and all but the very first couple of
> Tomcat 5.0 releases is Servlet Specification v2.4 final.  (And JSP
> Specification v2.0 final).
>
> When you say it "says 2.4.public_draft," what precisely do you mean?  Is
> that the name of a file somewhere, a directory, a CVS tag?
>

>>So this is a request for help, if you could tell us what versions of
>>servlet api exist since 2.3 and jsp apis, where to get them and the
>>license (some Sun APIs can't be redistributed in the repository), then
>>I'll fix the repository.
>

> There was Servlet Spec 2.3 and JSP Spec 1.2, which go with Tomcat 4.  Then
> there were a few Servlet Spec 2.4 PFD (Proposed Final Draft) releases, but
> that's a long time ago.  Everything for the past year and several months has
> been Servlet Spec 2.4 (final) and JSP Spec 2.0 (final).
>
> As far as CVS: while both these packages ship with Tomcat, they have their
> own CVS area.  It's the jakarta-servletapi-5 CVS module, and under it you'll
> find directories for each spec.  The binaries (they're actually jars,
> servlet-api.jar and jsp-api.jar, respectively) in there are for Servlet Spec
> 2.4 final and JSP Spec 2.0 final.
>
> I hope that clarifies things.  If not, please let us know how else we can
> help.
>
> Yoav

Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300
Toronto, Ontario   M4P 2C9

RE: Servlet and JSP APIs in java repository

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@MIT.EDU>.
Hi,

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@MIT.EDU>.
Hi,